Substrate: Is Seachem Flourite everyone's favorite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michelleinchicago

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I am frothing to start a planted tank. I've read all sorts of opinions about substrate, and I could use some more. ;) Seachem Flourite keeps coming up online. Is it the way to go?

Also, I've read some reviews that say it's a pain to clean before putting it in the tank, but the website says "Although pre-washed, it may be rinsed before use to remove residual dust". Anyone care to weigh in?

I just washed about 3 lbs. (1/2 bag) yesterday & it's very easy.
Put in container with about 1-2 inches of empty spaces
Fill with water - feel free to swich it around but be careful of spillage & cutting yourself on the gravel.
Carefully empty out water (don't spill the gravel)
Repeat until you can see the substrate through water (first time it'll look like mud)
Drain as much water as possible & add to tank. Voila

Overall it takes about 5-10 minutes

It's personal preference I believe And comes down to colour. The colour of the fluorite is popular, however as planting substrate it has the same benefits as eco complete or dirt substrate, all of which look great. I personally have Eco complete as it Diddnt need washing and was easy to use and install and as colour Diddnt matter at all. As I said previously I think it's down to personal preference but I wouldn't say everyone's favourite was fluorite it's just a popular and attractive colour, which adds to its benefits. Eco complete has its share of fans as does dirt planted and sand with root tabs.

I agree that ecocomplete is much easier to switch to, you just add it and start planting.

Dirt is one of my favorites, but there is a good bit of prep work involved depending on how you do it, and if you ever have to disturb it or want to change it, it's very messy (although so are most planted substrates).

All can be very effective substrate choices, so it really comes down to preference. If it's a budget build and you don't mind a bunch of rinsing, go with plain oil-dri and/or dirt, if you want to just get it in there and go and don't mind the cost, go with ecocomplete or floramax.

I have FloraMax in my 150 planted. I don't mind the color but I sometimes I wish I shelled out the extra few bucks per bag and got Eco Complete just because it looks really nice. Either way I don't think you can go wrong.

There are better substrates available online, although shipping sometimes significantly increases the costs. Neither Fluorite nor EC (or floramax, or any other fired clay product) have significant nutrients in them beyond some micronutrients. ADA Aquasoil, MTS, and UP Aqua Soil are all nutrient rich substrates, but each have their own quirks that make them a little more difficult to use.

Fluorite and EC are 'ok' substrates. They are both user friendly, but they are not the best substrates available.

Back
Top Bottom