Substrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwangerow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the best ( proper to use) sand for goldfish tanks? All I seem to see is marine sand. Don't know if that would work. Firm believer in some substrate, as it is another place for beneficial bacteria. I'm worried about the kiddies swallowing gravel. I watched one do it, and before I could get him out and remove, he swallowed it!

Any particular type of sand?

If your on a budget, pool filter sand is great! It runs about $10 for 50lbs. It's also a heavy grain clean sand that does not cloud or get sucked into filters. It comes in shades of white to beige and also has variegated mixes (white, beige, browns, etc).

Thank you for the suggestion. What depth of sand would be appropriate? I'm worried too much would become a debris trap and lead to old tank syndrome.

I did see jlk's planted tanks with what appeared to a sand bottom. Was there a substrate under the sand for the plants? While I haven't gotten up the courage to do a planted tank (been doing this for over forty years!) it is something I'm considering when upsizing my tropical tank (have Bala sharks, that grow somewhat slower than golds, but grow they do). But at the moment my focus is on upsizing all my goldfish tanks. Made a couple of newbie mistakes that I should have know better, but I'm working on correcting. (Goldfish husbandry has significantly advanced over the years, and I didn't read up!)

Just sand! Nothing else special (aside from ferts and Excel) and generally any plants are on the easier side of growing things. The sand is 2-3 inches at most.

There is not any concerns with debris becoming trapped as everything stays on the top of the sand (unlike gravel) or is removed via filtration. The only concern is sand becoming compacted and developing gas pockets (yes, this does really occur!). Running a plastic butter knife or chopsticks through the sand as part of your maintenance routine eliminates this possibility. Mts are also helpful in keeping the sand aerated.

Bare bottom is another option thats popular with goldies. Hope this helps!

Mts? You lost me. I'll try with Excel in one my tanks. It is in a room that bright almost day. Not to sure about CO2 systems.
Thanks

Ok, thanks. Actually I've never dealt with snails. Something I need to consider.

Another question on this vein if I may. What are good plant selections to use in a goldfish tank? I don't mind if they graze some, but I would like it it remain mostly "untouched". ( Note the quotes, nothing ever goes exactly to plan!)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Another question on this vein if I may. What are good plant selections to use in a goldfish tank? I don't mind if they graze some, but I would like it it remain mostly "untouched". ( Note the quotes, nothing ever goes exactly to plan!)

Always best to start with hardier plants and make sure your guys are well trained to eat their veggies first before embarking upon plants. Anubias (which come in every size and shape), java fern and swords are easy starters. Delicate stuff such as mosses will be destroyed within a day. Fast growers can do well (wisteria, hornwort, duckweed, etc) as long as munching is limited. Parrots feather, a few lucky water lettuce and a single sword are the only plants that have managed to survive with growing fry but I have kept a variety of plants with older adults. :)

Ok, thanks for the advice. My Moors go nuts over their lettuce, as well as my comets , but the fantails and ryukins will only eat what the others tear off. Guess it's going to be a fun little experiment!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A sand pea gravel mixture works too. You can get them at me rads for $3 a 50 pound bag, just rinse well first

Lol...oh well. Thanks, only problem is we don't have Menards around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom