substrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harriet

Aquarium Advice Regular
how should i change from gravel to sand i have to sand already in just unsure how to go about changing it i was just going to wash the sand put the fish in a bucket and take the gravel out and turn the filter off then put the sand in and then put them back in but i read that taking the gravel out could crash my cycle the tank has only been running for 5 weeks and is cycled ammonia is 0 nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 5

Yes, the substrate holds a significant amount of the bb. You'll prob have to start the cycle over. You can put some of the old substrate in a filter bag or stocking hose and put it in the tank to help jump start the new cycle

i could try keep the majority if not all of the gravel in a pair on tights in the tank i really don’t want to risk my angelfish dying is there anyway to avoid having to recycle i have some bottled beneficial bacteria if using that would help too as well as keeping some of the old substrate in

Yeah, I'd use both. You'll just have to go back to monitoring the water parameters again and doing more frequent water changes. I always do fish in cycles. It's generally safe if your careful and don't neglect

would it take around 6 weeks again or less time just for the bacteria to build up again?

I'm going to have to go against the grain on this one. There is very little bacteria in the tank itself. Aerobic bacteria need two things to be successful. The media has to be permeable so you have to basically see daylight through it and have fast water movement through that media for oxygenation. Gravel will not be able to supply this.

The OP is doing nothing more than starting a new tank. You can cycle the tank instantly by using established media from another filter... or using the same filter.

Remember you are cycling filter (which is done), not the tank itself.

I'll have to disagree. OP can read up one of the million articles on it and decide for herself. I do agree the filter has the most bb. But it won't be cycled instantly with new substrate. Imo only.

Biological Filtration

Perhaps the most important function aquarium gravel serves is to provide a home for beneficial bacteria. Those bacterial colonies are necessary to eliminate waste from the fish, leftover food, and plant debris. The bacteria can live without a comfy gravel bed, but they might not grow in sufficient quantities to keep the aquarium safe for your fish.

If the tank is left with a bare bottom, it will be necessary to*change the water*more often to keep harmful waste from building up. But if the tank is heavily stocked, even frequent water changes might not be enough to keep ammonia and*nitrites*at bay. In that case, substrate is critical to help maintain a healthy environment.
- The Spruce Pet

It was just an example of the differing opinions on the internet. Not the end all of opinions. Your link is a good article. Thanks for being wiser than me lol

Back
Top Bottom