substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the thread it says 4ppm what does this mean? Some of the lingo still gets me

On ur API freshwater test kit, that's how much to start growing the bacteria. You do have one don't u?

Yeah I have one, the last time I set up my planted tank I just ran the filters minus charcoal and it cycles I didn't add any amonia at all but I did have Eco complete as substrate it was wet substrate with bacteria supposedly already in it

Ok. So when u do the ammonia test add it until the color for 4 ppm match but they should be a calculator that'll help you determine how many tsp to add to get it.

Okay I am planning on setting it up at the end of this month, I will calling aquariumplants.com to discuss their substrate if I like what I hear I will purchase some if not I will go with eco

How many discus should I add first or should I add something else first? I am trying to figure out good tank mates for them. I know I am going to definately add blue rams, are there any smaller shoaling fish I could add?

Crittercaller said:
How many discus should I add first or should I add something else first? I am trying to figure out good tank mates for them. I know I am going to definately add blue rams, are there any smaller shoaling fish I could add?

Id wait until I knew my tank was very cycled b4 adding them, have heard they're very sensitive. As far as how many Idk, sorry. Its only a 75 so id say no more than 2 but Idk

I plan on cycling first the breeder here told me 6 max but someone on here said they do water changes every three days but when I had my planted tank I did a water change once a week only 30% what do you recommend?

Crittercaller said:
I plan on cycling first the breeder here told me 6 max but someone on here said they do water changes every three days but when I had my planted tank I did a water change once a week only 30% what do you recommend?

Id say let my nitrates guide that but I've never had discus, so Idk how sensitive they are. Id at least do 50-75% weekly.

That's what I figured I will post pictures as I go. I figured I could pick the guys at the breeder about the discus. I have to travel over an hour to get the fish

Crittercaller said:
That's what I figured I will post pictures as I go. I figured I could pick the guys at the breeder about the discus. I have to travel over an hour to get the fish

Yea I would think they would know more.

Crittercaller said:

But u can go back and look at other threads about discus and see what u can find out!!

I still appreciate your advice I copied that thread about cycling and printed it. I can't wait until I get it set up. How deep should I have the substrate for plants? Last time I had it about two inches deep

Crittercaller said:
I still appreciate your advice I copied that thread about cycling and printed it. I can't wait until I get it set up. How deep should I have the substrate for plants? Last time I had it about two inches deep

At least that or maybe 3. Oh ur welcome. That's why we join this site, to spread our own experience and get help from more knowledgeable peeps.

Back
Top Bottom