substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtanee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am starting a 15g red cherry shrimp tank, its currently cycling with guppies.
my question is has anyone ever used CaribSea substrate? The eco complete stuff? I tried finding out if its copper free but I'm having tough luck. Any one use this with their copper sensitive babies?

I am starting a 15g red cherry shrimp tank, its currently cycling with guppies.
my question is has anyone ever used CaribSea substrate? The eco complete stuff? I tried finding out if its copper free but I'm having tough luck. Any one use this with their copper sensitive babies?

I use CaribSea Moonlight Sand and plenty of people use EC. Most levels of Copper for plants are tiny and won't affect Shrimp AFAIK.

I use sand and DIY Root Caps because I like the look of the sand.

My Shrimp are fine.

Actually shrimp need a small amount of copper. Can't give you the technical explaination but they need copper like we need some iron. I use Eco complete and have shrimp, it's fine as are ferts, both liquid and dry.

Thank you for the advice! I will be getting some eco-complete then!

And I always thought that copper was a killer for shrimp? Is that only in large traces?

I have no idea about the copper content or copper and shrimp. I've had ghost shrimp but not in the tank with the Eco-Complete. Did you try contacting the company off their website?

Ahhhhh okay, gotcha. I've heard to just watch anything where copper is one of the first ingredients

As far as I know you shouldn't have moderate levels of copper unless you're adding it to the tank, i just started my tank so I've been doing a research and since I wanna out some shrimp I asked the same question and the 3 lfs by me said that unless you're adding the copper (meds mostly) you shouldn't have any copper in your tank. Most fertilizers don't have much since plants usually don't like copper >.<

Hmmmm ok so if I ever neeeeedd to absolutely use a med that has copper quarantine the fish away from shrimp(which would've been done anyways..)

Any idea if this algae wafer is safe for the shrimp? Copper sulfate listed second to last.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130122_233230.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130122_233230.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 44
Any idea if this algae wafer is safe for the shrimp? Copper sulfate listed second to last.

First, good job on checking ingredients !

I'd skip it personally. It's probably ok.
I'd blanch organic Zucchini (after skinning and rinsing. Spinach also

I do feed Algae wafers, but not daily.I use Omega One. They list Kelp and Spirulina as first ingredients. No copper.
I rotate foods. I also feed Rapashy dry food ( mixed with water it forms a gel food ), one of their favorites.

So maybe like once every two weeks? But spinach would be a better substitute

So maybe like once every two weeks? But spinach would be a better substitute

There is also a seller here who has Shrimp food for sale or TPT has a huge Mart area ( members only, but it's free to join) and several sellers of food specifically for Shrimp.

I am not affiliated with any of the vendors, I just prefer to buy from other hobbyists.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom