Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floggz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys...just setting up a new planted tank.Had cichlids for years & decided to try something new.
I've done a bit of research & I'm going for a low tech tank,I've got good lighting (three 3 foot t8's grow lux globes)but no c02.
Main question is can I use normal 3-5 mm black gravel as substrate.Would plants grow normal and I really want a carpet,probably mm or baby tears, would they carpet on gravel?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For a carpet you generally need high light and co2. That substrate would work, you just need to add root tabs.though a carpet would do better on something like eco complete, or a finer substrate. How large is your tank? With 3 t8s your prob In the medium light range.

Thanx for reply mr nowhere, they're 30 watts each so I'll have 120 watts for 245 ltr tank...roughly 60g.

Also tank is a aqua one 980t

Ya with 2 wpg you could prob grow NL chain sword. I doubt dbt would grow, to low for light. I believe your on the high end of low/low end of medium lighting.

Look into metracide 14 it's liquid co2 basically. Cheaper and easier than a co2 system.

Yeah I was planning on adding liquid c02 & also root tabs,isn't flourish excel liquid c02?

Ya with 2 wpg you could prob grow NL chain sword. I doubt dbt would grow, to low for light. I believe your on the high end of low/low end of medium lighting.

Look into metracide 14 it's liquid co2 basically. Cheaper and easier than a co2 system.

Ya metricide 14 is just cheaper than excel

Back
Top Bottom