Substrate???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boges_au2006

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi i know its probably been asked before but i couldnt find it.
Just wondering currently i have in my tank a little bit of like a crushed oral/shell stuff as substrate. not too much though in my tank.
Just wanted to know what is the preferable substrate for a marine tank and can i now change the substrate i have in there or would it be too late?
Cheers

Please take a moment and update your "Myinfo". What all do you have in the tank now? How long has it been set up? I would suggest sand as a substrate as crushed coral tends to collect food and detritus and that creates bad water which creates algae and other problems. Yes you can change out the substrate in your tank it just takes a bit of work. That being said, the ease of doing that depends on what you have in there right now...

I think its kinda different strokes for different folks but I have always preferred a more fine substrate to the more rocks ones that way my sandsifters can get the job done...hth

srry ill update my info after i finish typing this
currently in my tank have live rock no coral a few fish (lightning wrasse, cleaner wrasse two clowns and a foxface) and i have i think its a shell gritt (was bought second hand)
has been set up for about 18months i think.
if i put sand in there i would have to take all the shell gritt out first wont i. then set it all back up?? cheers

Yes, you will have to remove the old substrate. It might be a good idea to do half the tank and wait a few days before doing the other so the bio-filter is not upset too much. Stirring up and removing too much of the CC could cause an ammonia spike. Monitor your water params during the process and do PWC's if you see any problems. HTH

I agree that sand is preferable. Take your CC out in steps of two or three and replace with sand. You`ll be much better off. You can wash the sand really good and use a pvc pipe to slide the wet sand to the bottom and not create such a hugh dust storm.

I agree, I did 1/3 of my tank a week. Make sure you have some extra premixed water in case of any spikes. I used a tupperware bowl to add my sand. I had fish in the tank already and other than some nipped fins, there were no problems.

Back
Top Bottom