Such thing as a bad tank brand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tsquad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

New to the hobby. Bought the 20g kit by aquion at Petco a few months back. I obviously want a bigger tank now....I’m wondering if there is such thing as a bad tank brand, or one I should stay away from? I’d like to get a 55g, but I feel like if I do, I will end up wishing I had gone to a 75....

Personally I have not purchased enough (different brand) tanks to give you a credible answer. I’m sure there are opinions and direct experiences out there regarding this.
As for the 55 vs 75, it may depend on what you want to keep. Similar footprint (48”) but the 75 is 5” more front to back.

Yea I have not quite decided yet what I want to keep other than I want to do planted this time.

More than brand, overall would be to keep an eye on the workmanship and quality in the tanks.

The thickness of the glass compared with another brand/tank of same gallon size and foot print.

Caulking work. Even distribution and meeting of ends, etc.

Braces on the tank at the top where the lids are of course, those are easy to see. Remember to check the bottom of the tank as well.

If you happen to be buying a used tank watch the trim to make sure braces and frame/rims are not broken or cracked.

A side note for reptile tanks, are that often they are not as thick of glass as an aquarium because they aren't specifically made to hold water, or a full tank of water at least.

As for specific brands I can't say for sure. I have observed one tank may be much better caulked than the one sitting next to it from the same brand. Usually found in the budget types.

Back
Top Bottom