Sucker-fish in a Koi/Goldfish Pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suzieq7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have an 8000 gallon pond (combination of 3 small ponds flowing into a large 6000 gallon (6' deep) pond. In this largest pond there are 3 huge Kois (about 15' long)and about 30-40 Comets/Shubunkins/Mixed breed fish-from 2" long to 9" long. We live in upstate South Carolina where they all survive nicely in the iced-over pond in the Winter when they stay at the bottom of the 6' deep pond. My question: can we put some kind of fresh water sucker-fish(es) in there to help keep the algae down? We assume these type would probably NOT survive the winter-but that's OK, we'd just buy more each Spring. if they WOULD help with the algae problem-about how many should we buy now. Because of health problems, my hubby has not been able to get the algae under control as he used to. He has a UV light he'll install as soon as he is feeling better. this we know will help a lot w/ algae as we had one, but landscapers broke it. Anyway-will sucker-fish (or any other bottom feeder that won't eat our other fish) work? thanks a bunch!

There are not any fish that will survive the winter in your pond, so there are none that I can recomend. Something that I would try would be adding more plants. Underwater plants such as anacharis will help remove nutrients. Things that cover the surface of your pond (blocking out light) such as floaters or lillies would also make a good addition. Something else to try is barley straw. It is a natural remedy that a lot of people seem to have succes with.

there is an algae eating fish up here in massachusetts they live in the lakes, ponds, and streams, i call them a sucker fish they kind of look like trout but with a sucker for a mouth, the only problem is they also eat fish eggs

You could always try a gras carp...you can buy them at the local fishery. Not sure how they would do in a small pond, but in our lakes we keep them stocked.

Back
Top Bottom