Suggest a centerpiece fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
As you already know, I lost my angelfish over the weekend. I am now trying to think of a centerpiece fish for my 45 gallon tank. The tank is really tall, it's 36"Lx12"Wx24"H, and it is heavily planted. Here is my stock list:
2 keyhole cichlids
3 red wag platies
3 female bettas
5 gold pristella tetras
5 harlequin rasboras
3 yo yo loaches
1 clown pleco

This tank is generally very peaceful, and I would like a laid back centerpiece fish. The only aggression I have seen is some fin nipping from the betta girls as they try to work out their pecking order. :roll: However, there is a lot of plant cover so I expect that they will be able to work it out.

I was considering either a gold gourami or a pearl gourami, but didn't know how they would do with the bettas. I've heard mixed opinions on mixing bettas and gouramis, and didn't know if tall plants would make a difference. I've actually never kept gouramis before so I thought that might be interesting for me.

I'm also completely open to suggestions. I'd prefer to have a fish that will hang out near the top of the tank, and that will grow large enough to keep the platy population in check (I was counting on my angel to do this). Thanks.

My biggest fish in my 20 is a dwarf gourami and he stands out the most out of any in the tank. I love him. He's always swimming around near the surface.

I would have to say that another angelfish would be my pick. I haven't had much success with bettas and gourami's together. Pearl gourami's are peaceful and rather pretty if you wanted to try one of them.

i love rainbows, like boesmanis or turquoise... you would have to get a couple of them though to see the deep colors

Thanks, but I don't have enough room in my tank to stock a group large enough for rainbows to be comfortable.

I went to the LFS yesterday afternoon just to look around (lol), and lo and behold they had pearl gouramis! I ended up getting what I believe to be a male and a female, and I really like them so far. They are very shy at the moment, and are spending a lot of time behind my giant anubias plants. They are so beautiful even though they were stressed out, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they look like when they settle in and grow a bit. If they don't get along I will return one. They haven't been paying any attention to the bettas, and vice versa, so that is good so far, but I will be keeping an eye on them for sure. The stocking for this tank is completely, 100% finished, I will resist the temptation to add any more fish from here on out. No pics yet, but I'll get some up later.

I have a pearl, which I believe is a female. She is peaceful, graceful and nice to look at. Never any problems getting along with anyone else in the tank, which included a rainbow shark, black phantom tetras, striped raphael and a bristlenose pleco.

Not sure about bettas though.

Back
Top Bottom