Suggestions for desktop aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking at setting up a shrimp tank on my desk next to my computer and was wondering on what kits everyone would recommend?

I was planning on this being a shrimp tank with some plants. My biggest concern is that the tanks I've been looking at like the fluval spec and edge are too low light to grow what I want.

IMG_1984.jpgIMG_1985.jpgIMG_1986.jpg

Baby Biorb set up at work. Funky little LED and office lights are keeping it green. Set up at work 5/1.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I might look into doing some DIY lights. I did a cree fixture a few years back and it was just way too ugly, but soo much new stuff has come out in the past year and a half I will have to do some looking around :)

I found this type of LED light:
91WrhsOoJ1L._SL1500_.jpg

It's gonna be a pita to do all that soldering, but I think using these I won't even have to waste money on a new tank because I already had a marineland silhouette that I haven't used in about 2 years. The Silhouette is a nice aquarium, but the included light is pure garbage and the hood is constructed that there isn't enough clearance for other light sources to be added.

scTGOM9.jpg

I bought some under cabinet LED strip lights on Amazon. I think I paid $25 bucks for the kit. Came with 4x 12" long bars, connectors, switch etc etc. They are very bright, for about 12" of depth, and you can get them in a couple different color temps. Just a thought. I use them on my little betta tank which is lightly planted and it seems to be doing just fine.

Cheers

You don't have to solder those, they have connector clips

Yeah, I saw those clips but I am working with such a small amount of space I don't think I could keep the wires from the connectors looking neat. But they are only $6 for 10 of them so I might just give them a try anyways.

Back
Top Bottom