Suggestions on live plants please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pau1parker

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408438363.367696.jpg

Hey everyone , iv got a 135 litre tank all plants are fake, im wanting to make my tank look more lively so been thinking about getting live plants , could any of you tell what i need to know to keept them alive and wich plants will best suit my aquarium ,
I have 1 clown loach, 1 black redrail shark , 4 red crystal barbs, cory cat fish and a tiny sailfin plec
The lighting i have is just a daylight reflector , but i do have a hookup for an extra lighting source if needed ,
Thanks for reading !

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tank Plants

Hello Paul...

I like easy to grow plants. The dark green aquatic plants typically take low light. They'll be low maintainence. Any of the species of Anubias and Java fern are best. You just attach them to a piece of driftwood or lava rock with cotton sewing thread and drop them on top of the gravel or whatever bottom material you choose. No planting is needed.

I like to add some floating plants, so my fish feel comfortable. I don't think there's a better one than Hornwort. Common water weed (Anacharis) and Pennywort are good too.

B

Hello Paul...

I like easy to grow plants. The dark green aquatic plants typically take low light. They'll be low maintainence. Any of the species of Anubias and Java fern are best. You just attach them to a piece of driftwood or lava rock with cotton sewing thread and drop them on top of the gravel or whatever bottom material you choose. No planting is needed.

I like to add some floating plants, so my fish feel comfortable. I don't think there's a better one than Hornwort. Common water weed (Anacharis) and Pennywort are good too.

B

Thanks for replying , youve just made my life so much easier iv been looking on the internet and they make is sound so confusing !
Ill be getting some if them plants as they seem easy and look quite nice , also iv never heard if floating plants , what are the benefits of adding these?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Adding Floating Plants

Hello again Paul..

Floating plants take most of their food in through their leaves instead of the roots. They'll use up a lot of dissolved wastes from the fish and keep the tank water a bit cleaner between water changes. The plants are a good supplement to your fishes' diet and provide hiding places for young fish that may need to avoid becoming lunch for larger fish.

B

Suggestions on live plants

IMO Java fern is by far the best low light aquarium plant. It never melts, takes low light and grows steadily with no ferts or Co2. Hope this helps. Good luck planting.

Hi Pau1parker,

For us to assist you properly it would help to know the dimensions of your tank, what daylight reflector or light fixture specifically you have, goals for the tank (low tech vs. High tech planted tank), and budget for a light upgrade?

Also do you plan to replace the substrate?

It would be helpful if you increased your lighting, because I assume that it's not enough now.

Brian is right, tank dimensions are important for that.

As far as plants go, there are lots of great species. I like Hygrophila Polysperma but I'm not sure how you could obtain it (I received it by accident) as it's on the Federal Noxious Weed list. :hide:

Back
Top Bottom