Sulphur smell with water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
About a month ago, I replaced the substrate in my 10 gallon Betta tank with sand.

I notice now that whenever I do a water change (once a week 50%) there is a sulfur smell as the water comes out the siphon. I know about hydrogen sulfide gas that can develop because of anaerobic bacteria, but the substrate is only about 1 inch deep, I feed very, very little, and the tank contains only a single Betta, and apple snail and a ramshorn snail. The substrate seems fairly clean.

The tank doesn't smell of sulfur even immediately after the water change, I smell it only when I'm doing a gravel-vacuum and the water is coming out of the siphon.

I've noticed that the betta stopped building his bubble nests and seems more skittish, but I thought that might be because I recently moved the furniture in the room around so now - there used to be a sofa shielding his tank from the room, and that's gone now.

He swims around and is very active, eats, begs for food, but he also gets a fright more easily than he used to - now I'm wondering if it might have something to do with this smell, rather than the furniture changes.

Water quality otherwise is fine - ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate under 10. Any ideas?

... and working on an alternative way to construct a bubble nest ? :)

Interesting links! Thanks.

Lol, lol - maybe it would be quicker. Is the tank near an open flame - maybe that is why he is so skittish?? He's thinking "nooo, captain - she's gonna blow..." :hide:

I've never seen anything posted like this but thought maybe something different as the sand is shallow. Otherwise following :flowers:

Is a bottle of shaken up prime sitting next to the tank when you are doing the water change??

Is a bottle of shaken up prime sitting next to the tank when you are doing the water change??

No :) That would be a straightforward answer to the mystery though. I just recently bought myself some nice plastic containers for all my aquarium stuff so Prime was nowhere near.

I think I'm going to keep an eye on it, and maybe do a mid-week bigger water change. I don't really want to do another one straight away, Mr Betta is freaked out enough as it is. He's been menacing the ramshorn, who, of course, doesn't know he exists.

I hope you can figure it out and your fish is ok!!!

I've been a little concerned about that issue with sand since switching to it myself. I need to do a little research though. I haven't experienced anything yet though.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I hope you can figure it out and your fish is ok!!!

I've been a little concerned about that issue with sand since switching to it myself. I need to do a little research though. I haven't experienced anything yet though.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I was just about to post a question about changing to sand and cleaning. My julii cories are losing barbels and I am considering changing from gravel. In a prior post weeks ago, I posted pics of the gravel and from the feedback it sounded like the gravel was okay.

If sand stinks, maybe it isn't the best idea. What about smooth pebbles?

Although, I vacuum once a week and that stinks too. Is it possible' OP you are feeding smashed peas? I thought that might explain my stench since I do vac frequently - leftover pea remnants and extra poop.

I was just about to post a question about changing to sand and cleaning. My julii cories are losing barbels and I am considering changing from gravel. In a prior post weeks ago, I posted pics of the gravel and from the feedback it sounded like the gravel was okay.

If sand stinks, maybe it isn't the best idea. What about smooth pebbles?

Although, I vacuum once a week and that stinks too. Is it possible' OP you are feeding smashed peas? I thought that might explain my stench since I do vac frequently - leftover pea remnants and extra poop.
90% of the time corys lose their barbels to poor watet conditions.

Are you stirring your sand up with the siphon?

90% of the time corys lose their barbels to poor watet conditions.

Are you stirring your sand up with the siphon?

Right now I have gravel. Was thinking to switching to sand.

Ammonia 0
N2. 0
N3 15-20
Ph 8.1
79 Fahrenheit

Noviceafter2years :

I don't think the sand itself stinks...or it certainly didn't before I put it in.

I don't feed peas, but I've put in some cucumber and a little bit of apple for my snails to eat. I take the leftovers out after a day, but I guess it's possible that some fragments got left behind.

Mebbid: Yes. I do stir up the sand with the vacuum, probably much more than I should as I was worried there was some dirt trapped inside it.

Noviceafter2years :

I don't think the sand itself stinks...or it certainly didn't before I put it in.

I don't feed peas, but I've put in some cucumber and a little bit of apple for my snails to eat. I take the leftovers out after a day, but I guess it's possible that some fragments got left behind.

Mebbid: Yes. I do stir up the sand with the vacuum, probably much more than I should as I was worried there was some dirt trapped inside it.
That would do it then. Its just some anaerobic bacteria under the sand. Its easy to happen when you have a fine sand. Theres really no need to worry about digging around in it though, the sand doesnt collect a lot of gunk and the anaerobic areas are harmless.

That would do it then. Its just some anaerobic bacteria under the sand. Its easy to happen when you have a fine sand. Theres really no need to worry about digging around in it though, the sand doesnt collect a lot of gunk and the anaerobic areas are harmless.
Well!

That's a relief, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom