Sump build questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I plan on that 1" between the baffles. Should they both be 8" tall, with the one on the intake side about 1.5" off the bottom? Or should I make the second one shorter (flush to the bottom of the sump)?

I did some more reading and found a few folks that have done 2 chamber sumps with just egg crate between the chambers, and operated that way very successfully.

I can't see any cons to this method (and it's a helluva lot easier to get set up). Has anyone here done this?

I don't use baffles if that is what you mean in a couple of my sumps.
The most important function of the baffles is ;
#1 gas exchange(releasing co2 to keep ph proper)
#2 keep your skimmer running perfect all the time.
If the level of water the skimmer pump is in changes then that CAN effect the flow of skimmer.
That being said all my skimmers(even one on sump with baffles) has pump in a uncontrolled section.
Whether they are needed I can't say with proof,but I will say EITHERWAY that I always want the biggest area of my sump to be where the return pump is located.
This allows the most time between top offs if you are not using an ATO(I don't).
Gas exchange should be able to take place at the overflow or upon entering the sump IMO ,after that it is all up to what people want to do in there filter.
Many use Rubbermaid tubs with just protein skimmer, calurpae and eggcrate to keep it out of return pump with no baffles at all.

I ran a sump with just a chamber for Chaeto, and used the eggcrate just to keep the Chaeto from getting into the return pump.

I'm not going to have a fuge in there, but I will have my ATO topping off into the sump. Would that necessitate the use of baffles instead of just eggcrate?

I did some more reading and found a few folks that have done 2 chamber sumps with just egg crate between the chambers, and operated that way very successfully.

I can't see any cons to this method (and it's a helluva lot easier to get set up). Has anyone here done this?

The main con would be an inconsistent level for the protein skimmer to operate. Maybe I missed a part of the conversation, but I would use a glass baffle before the return pump section to keep a consistent water level in section 1, and then use the ATO in the return section...

Back
Top Bottom