Sump build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. My family asked me if I could have one thing for Christmas what would it be? Figured this is my opportunity to build my sump!

I have a 20g long reef tank. Right now it only has an HOB :( and hair algae is creeping in on me. Hence why I want to get a sump up and going to help make my system cleaner and utilize some benefits like the skimmer and refugium.

That being said, i want to DIY the actual sump box from a spare 10g I have. I'll just get some glass cut at Lowes to make the sections.

I need opinions and suggestions as my handyman ingenuity is not the greatest....

What silicone would you recommend for sealing the glass sections?

And recommended equipment for this size tank...

Skimmer-

Return pump-

Overflow box- let me make this clear, I REALLY DO NOT want to drill my tank. I will settle for a hang on overflow and return.

I've been watching a lot of videos but I'm still quite new to the whole sump thing. I want to get it right the first time.

Caleb

You going to do a refugium or wet/dry trickle?

You have a powerhead in the tank right?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You going to do a refugium or wet/dry trickle?

You have a powerhead in the tank right?

2 powerheads in tank actually. Plenty of flow.

I'd really like to do a refugium. Remove as much organic waste as possible.

Caleb

If you are using a 10 gallon tank for a sump, there's not going to be a huge amount of space to do much. Personally, I would do a simple 2 chamber sump, the first section being drain section with a protein skimmer, then a bubble trap going into the second chamber which will be your return pump section... Just make sure to design it with enough room for back draining in case of a power outage. Just my $0.02.

Depending on the pump and skimmer size you might be able to get away with a small fuge section.

Do you know how big the sump is on the steal you got?

Depending on the pump and skimmer size you might be able to get away with a small fuge section.

Do you know how big the sump is on the steal you got?

To update what wrangler is talking about,

I found a steal on a sump setup. It looks like a standard 10g and the skimmer looks quite large. Full plumbing is included as well as the 20L rimless it sat under and the stand and lighting.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom