Sump Done Finally (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sumphead

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well after a forever of redesigns and fun play I have finished my sump/fuge. It is custom fit into a 72G bowfront stand. It measures 44.5" long, 10" wide, and 16" deep (water level will be be at 12") I have made revisions after revisions and finally got a good one I think. Opinions?

It is made from 1/4" acrylic and during the leaktesting (pic below) I actually filled it in the bathtub andraised one end all the way up to a 45 degree angle and it held the stress of waterweight like a champ. I liked the idea of feeding it from both ends with a return chamber in the middle. That way I could control the flow into the fuge better.

Also note I painted the back of the fuge area to match the back of the tank for better vewing of the fuge, also note the additional support across the top of the stand for hanging my fuge light (1-55W PC)

with those 1/4" support strips, i would be worried about the heat from the 55watt pc making the acrylic very plyable. if you can set some wood/metal strips over top of the acrylic strips, i think that would be fine, but not just resting on the thin strips themselves...

I agree, I think you need to address the heat from the light fixture. Also, with the light fixture and Mag pump in the closed cabinet, you may need to address the venting of the heat.

The light will not rest on the stips it will be a pendant hung from the new 2x6 brace across the top. This tank will sit across a corner with a fan behind.

Looks sweet. Say whats the chamber furthest to the right? If your mag 12 is in the chamber right next to the fuge on the left I dont know what the chamber to the right would be for.

It's another intake chamber. The tank has two drains, one feeds the left basically uninhibited (has ball valve but probably ran open) and the left is resticted by a ball valve to control the flow into the fuge section. I have to add one more baffle for bubble control.

Actually it was very cheap. I found a local plastic place and got the 1/4" sheet for just under $70 like $5 in weldon and bingo! I have enough left over from this peice to attempt a small urchin-like skimmer for my 46G. I also get scraps like crazy. I was in the local plastics place friday and picked up a quarter sheet of 1/2" black and a 20"X18" 1/4" gray for $17. I dunno what I'm gonno do with em yet but it'll be fun whatever I do. I love this stuff! I'll prolly try a shallow prop tank with the black for internal overflow. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the comments guys, both constructive and positive. it means a lot to get all imput from you all. Keep 'em coming!

That's a beaut!!!

I have been pondering on a sumpifuge for a while now, I really like your design a lot!

Did you use a table saw to cut your acrylic? Did you buy the weldon locally or online?

How much to make me one??
ME TOO... I have been tempted but I dont trust my skills and dont want to waste the money on something that aint gonna work or hold water...

James

I got all of my stuff locally. Weldon is dirt cheap here like $2.50 for each #3 and #16. I did use a table saw, with high tooth count blade. It is actually a 220 ct. plywood finishing blade, (rather thin) and it cut very well. No misscuts at all. I used slide bar clamps (garfs electrical tape trick didn't work for me) to hold all my pieces while I hit it with the #3. I didn't really need the #16 at all but ran beads for piece of mind. I used a fine sponge sanding bock to smoth edges a little after cutting. worked out really well! I've played with acrylic before but never on this magnitude. it was much easier than I thought it would be.

well I think you need to build me one just like yours.. You build it I pay for shipping LOL

James

Thanks for the good info and pics reef. I agree, a bead of adhesive in addition to the primary adhesive, in almost any assembly project, always makes me feel better about the strength of the assembly.

cool beans.

well I priced acrylic here and for a 4'x8' sheet of 1/4" its $126.00

They stated that they use a 60 tooth carbide blade on a Table saw to cut it.. Very tempting.. I am gonna see If i can fid cheaper prices on acrylic..

James

That's PRICEY! Again, I paid around or just less than $70 for the 1/4" sheet and I strongly recommend a higher tooth blade. The lower blades want to chop it up as opposed to slice through.

Well I called every plastic place here locally and found a 4'x8' sheet for $63.36 I also found a place that rents table saws for 25.00 a day plus I need to buy the blade So i figure for less than 100.00 I can build quite the sump and have plenty of acrylic left over.. I am pretty positive I can do this so I think I am going to take this route... I am thinking 30L x 16H x 14W or maybe 35L x 16h x 16W

Thanks for the Ideas,
James

reefnewb said:
That's PRICEY! Again, I paid around or just less than $70 for the 1/4" sheet and I strongly recommend a higher tooth blade. The lower blades want to chop it up as opposed to slice through.
dang...i'm looking at $180 for a sheet of 4x8 3/8" cast cell... i wish i could get it cheaper locally (cincinnati), but it doesn't look like that's going to happen....unless there's a cheap online dealer :?

Back
Top Bottom