Sump/Protein Skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickkyBobby

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 65 gallon tank and i am going to build a 20 gallon sump tank for it..

Question 1..What size and brand protein skimmer should i get for my 20G sump..

2. Will I need an additional filter to go along with the sump setup or will the sump be enough? (I also have a Eheim Professional II 2026 model canister filter).

You'll only need the sump and look for something rated for twice your water volume. The reef octopus is a trustworthy skimmer. Have you check out bulkreefsupply.com yet

You'll only need the sump and look for something rated for twice your water volume. The reef octopus is a trustworthy skimmer. Have you check out bulkreefsupply.com yet

TY mrc...Thats cool.. I was looking at the octopuss skimmer and my lfs said that was a good one too.. So i will go with that.. And no, i didnt know about the website, im checking it out now.. ty

There is a group buy which gives you discounts going on right now I think search the threads.. if not Carey usually hosts them every month or two

i was going to use a 1 inch bulkhead.. Is that size ok for my size tank?

What kind of tubing do you recommend for the feed and returns?

I will be using the reef octopus 150 for a skimmer

I'm using 1" PVC bc I think I looks better but for every 90 adds 1ft of head pressure. So map it out before u buy a pump

i was going to use the CPR overflow (CS90) 600 GPH with the mag 7 pump (700 GPH)

im going to try to use 45's instead of 90's to cause less restriction...but if i have to i could buy the mag 9.5 motor.. can i put a ball valve on the return to restrict the flow a bit if i go with the larger return pump?

Yes you can put a ball valve. Restricting the output of a pump has no negative affects, but restricting the input does.

Crister is rite. With a mag 9.5 u will have to restict it some only bc this is a big jump between the 7 and 9.5. I'm putting ball valve on both just in case I need to shut down my system. I'm also running a check valve on my intake and make sure u run some sort of union on the return so u can take your pump out without have to cut the PVC. I just spent $37 in PVC I'm goin to put it all together tonight so look out for my up dates in my thread.

Crister is rite. With a mag 9.5 u will have to restict it some only bc this is a big jump between the 7 and 9.5. I'm putting ball valve on both just in case I need to shut down my system. I'm also running a check valve on my intake and make sure u run some sort of union on the return so u can take your pump out without have to cut the PVC. I just spent $37 in PVC I'm goin to put it all together tonight so look out for my up dates in my thread.

ty guys,, and yes i was planning on using unions.. but wasnt thinking about the check valve.. good idea...... Thanks

Wouldn't gate valves be better? I had heard that by restricting the output you put back pressure on the pump making it work harder than it should, eventually burning it out sooner. To limit my flow to the DT, I put a splitter after the pump out put & have one line run back into the sump with a pvc gate valve attached to control the amount I want diverted from DT. Not sure if this is correct info just what my LFS guys have told me & something I read somewhere. So I do it in the hope my pump lasts longer.

ClamSnorkler said:
Wouldn't gate valves be better? I had heard that by restricting the output you put back pressure on the pump making it work harder than it should, eventually burning it out sooner. To limit my flow to the DT, I put a splitter after the pump out put & have one line run back into the sump with a pvc gate valve attached to control the amount I want diverted from DT. Not sure if this is correct info just what my LFS guys have told me & something I read somewhere. So I do it in the hope my pump lasts longer.

This is the ideal way to set it up but unless you are really blocking a pretty substantial amount of water a quality pump shouldn't have a problem

Yup, i like the idea of the gate valve also.. im glad i dont have my skimmer yet because i would have everything plumbed already.. Im taking my time and it looks likes its gonna pay off..lol.. ty guys...I also was reading here on the forums.. you can just drill a small hole (1/16th or so) in the return line just above the water line in your DT..So if you lose power, the return line will suck air and not drain you tank!!! You will hear a small trickle of water when the pump is running but thats it.. I will definitely drill a hole and i might even use a check valve too..

You always want to drill that hole but you never want to rely on it. It could easily get plugged with algae, a snail, gravel, or pretty much anything. The key is to have redundancy to an OCD degree. So drill the hole & have a one way check valve. And as far as taking your time you will learn only bad things happen quickly in this hobby. So take your time & be patient.

ok, well im making a few changes...I found out i can drill the back of my tank and use an internal overflow box instead of the HOB type ..im getting the 700GPH kit from glass holes.. just ordered tonight

Also ordered the mag 9.5 return pump too

Ohh i just got a Reef Octopus xs160 Skimmer from eBay for 180 bucks used in great shape.. 1 year old..Looks brand new..300 dollar skimmer New.. Should work nicely

Sump will be going together soon

img_2082497_0_41e956ab1c899134d7e51ee2730b2da7.jpg

Ok progress is being made...

I painted the back of the glass
Drilled hole In rear Glass for new 800 GPH Overflow Kit (Glass-Holes)
Installed Overflow and plumbing to Sump

The Glass for the baffles in the sump will be ready on Monday and i will continue with the rest then

Here's a Few Photos.. Let me know what you think..

img_2089050_0_667bb3914af99d86af22356c8f131f5a.jpg

img_2089050_1_3923f1002ba57d2ef90252994ea1a900.jpg

img_2089050_2_1fb1ec573d06faedea0a42ed064b6335.jpg

img_2089050_3_a881010f4b33ac3783e79c84f213f02c.jpg

U might have to tank that check valve out bc there won't be enough pressure to open it I moved mine over to the return so when I loose power it doesn't suck my DT down. I might have gotten the wrong kind of valve just some FYI

Back
Top Bottom