sump question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skratchiechan

Aquarium Advice Regular
okay so here is my situation. when I first got my setup about 2 months ago I had the lfs guy help me. he got me a 60 long and a hob skimmer, I asked if I needed a sump and he said I didnt. now that I've been in the game for a bit I really wanna get a sump going.

the question I have is can I just use the existing HOB skimmer in the sump and I wouldn't need any baffles for microbubbles? all I would have to do is get some live rock, sand and a return pump? I want to get a 10-15 gallon set up.

Yeah, it should work to start out with. I suspect as you continue to get more into this hobby you'll want a better skimmer, however.

haha yea more than likely! also I'm doing the diy u tube overflow and was wondering what kind of return I should get as far as the gph

You'll want to match roughly the overflow size to the return pump you plan to use. So once you figure out how many gph your return pump is you get the HOB overflow that can handle that same, or slightly higher, amount of flow.

i would reconsider building a siphon overflow. you'll have to keep both sides of the J tube submerged, or when the power goes out, it will not restart. pre-built overflow boxes are constructed to keep the J tube's ends under water.

Back
Top Bottom