Sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cuthysmalz2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Gonna start up a sump and this is my first time with this and I want to do a lot of research before anything happens. First off I'm gonna purchase a pump rated at 1000 gph with my tank height at 4ft so i'm guessing i'll have some loss which will really turn out to be 950 GPHish or so. I am also looking at a overflow box which is rated at 1000 gph, so my question now is it ok to have a bigger overflow box will that cause problems? will my pump be adequate for the over flow? Is it ok to have a ball check valve on both lines: return & other line (i forget the name), what is a good brand pump that is rated at 1000 gph?:fish2:

Your going to have more head loss than 50gph over 4ft. I have Aqua Pro wet/dry sumps on all of my larger freshwater tanks running Quiet One pumps, these are hands down the quietest pumps I've ever used. The only two I would recommend are those and Mag Drives, but the mags are a little noisy for my liking but do push water with less head loss than the Quiet Ones. Each manufacture website will post headloss results, so a little research goes along way. Running ball valves on the return side is ok but I choose a pump with the factored headloss to run wide open with no restrictions. My AGA twin overflows are rated at 600g each, so I need to turn 1200gph max and the Quiet One 6000 gets me to around 1100gph with head loss which is good.

Back
Top Bottom