sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bolohead

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok heres my info:

INFO:
Skimmer: Nautilus EX 24
Pump: Mag Drive 1200 (1200gph & recommended by manufacturer)
Connection Hose: 2' long and 3/4" diameter

PROBLEM:
With the release valve completely open, the water level in the skimmer is near the collar of the skimmer(very close to the collection cup). The manual on the skimmer recommends that the water level to be about 1" to 3" below the collar.

QUESTION:
How do I reduce the pressure inside the skimmer?

NOTE:
I've attempted to increase the length of the connection hose(to 6') hoping that would decrease the pressure, but the problem still occured. As stated previously, I've also opened the release valve completely and also tried to adjust the air intake valve(even opened it completely), but to no avail.

HELP:
I'm sure skimmers are similar in terms of making adjustments, which is why I'm inquiring others to see what others might be doing. Is the water level fine if its at the collar even though the manufacturer recommends it a little lower? Would increasing the diameter of the Connection Hose help?

Maybe you could put a "T" splitting out to the ball valve (Between the pump and skimmer) and return that to the sump. Adjust the flow thru the valve until you reach the correct level. This shouldn't increase the head pressure experienced by the pump.

Back
Top Bottom