sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timmy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I find this sump simple and probably the easiest one to make, I'm just wonderin if I can use a powerhead to run the water off the tank through the sump?? I'm using mag 700 as my water pump.

just wonderin if I can use a powerhead to run the water off the tank through the sump??

NO.

Having a pump push water out of a tank and into the sump and then having a return pump is going to cause you endless problems. The issue is you have to balance the two pumps exactly as if you dont one will slowly over fill the other vessle. Either the sump or the tank will slowly overfill because one pump is pumping faster than the other. Instead use a hang on overflow to drain the water out of the main tank only as fast as the return pump can add the water back into the tank.

Its to reduce the bubbles in sump that would find their way into the pump going backup to the tank. With how that sump is plumbed having air get into the return pump plumbing would be a very BAD thing as the pump relys on keeping that white plumbing that goes up and over the side of the sump to be void of air. I personally would not plumb the return in that manor. Very dangerious should that return plumbing get air into it the pump could start to run dry and cause problems.

Back
Top Bottom