Sump questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SerLunchbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, in the new construction of a tank I have in the works already, it will be a 33 gallon reef tank, a 10 gallon sump and a ER 5-2 (newer name is ER RS80) ... When I am looking at heating and return pump, what should I get?

For the heater, does it only need to be a small heater given that it will work through the sump? I will be using an overflow device as well ... Is the CPR one any good at all or would you suggest a different overflow system. Thanks.

The heater(s) you select should be able to handle your entire water volume. I would suggest 2 heaters each being able to handle your 33 gallons. As for the return pump you will need to figure out how many GPH your overflow will handle and match your pump to that at the height you are pumping the water to. For example...if you are pumping 4' straight up, and your overflow is rated at 300gph then your pump needs to move 300gph (or there about) at 4'. Make sense?

The reason for 2 heaters is incase one fails you have one that can handle the job still...also by having 2 your heaters wont work as hard to keep your water temp constant!

CPR overflows are great IME if you use a Maxi-jet 1200 PH to maintain the siphon, instead of the aqua-lifter pump they recommend. Your much better off this way. I don't have experience w/ any of the less expensive models/brands of overflows available, so I can't comment on them. HTH

Back
Top Bottom