Sump/refug for 225 gal reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogger19

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, need some advice. My sump is going to consist of a 55 gallon and a 30 gallon tank. The display tank has a total of 4 drilled plumbing coming out of 2 overflows. Each overflow has both a drain and a inlet pipe which goes over the top and to the side. I was thinking of toeing both drains together and installing a tee. One side of the tee would go to the 55 gallon tank and the other side would go to a ball valve to the 30 gallon tank. I plan on elevating the 30 gallon tank above the 55 gallon tank. The 30 gallon will be the refug and the 55 gallon would be the sump. The refug wold have an overflow drilled in which would to to the 55 gal sump tank. The sump would consist of three compartments: water intake, skimmer, and the return pump which will to a pipe tieing both water in let's together. I also have another 30 gallon tank which I plan on using as a quarantine tank. I will put a tee on the pipe leading out of the return pump so can tie in a fill for the quarantine tank. Does anybody have any thoughts on this configuration? Seem feasible? Thanks!

Here's a pic of the tank

Attachments

• image-2403485645.jpg
    image-2403485645.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 100
I personally would not tee together the return lines. I would have the two return lines dump into the 30 and then the 50. WIth a ball valve on each return (that is not tee'd off), it's easier to adjust and lower the noise.

In my 220g DT I installed 3 drains. Each line dumps into my 125g sump.

If you do decide to tee the returns, make sure you tee them into a larger pipe diameter to handle the two drains.

I personally would not tee together the return lines. I would have the two return lines dump into the 30 and then the 50. WIth a ball valve on each return (that is not tee'd off), it's easier to adjust and lower the noise.

In my 220g DT I installed 3 drains. Each line dumps into my 125g sump.

If you do decide to tee the returns, make sure you tee them into a larger pipe diameter to handle the two drains.

Do you mean have one overfill return dump into the 30 and the other overfill return dump into the 55? My goal is to have a lower flow rate through the refug

No, I'd have both go through the 30g fuge. Might as well get all the filtering you can from it.

You can control the flow by putting ball valves on the return lines if you're looking to control flow.

Back
Top Bottom