Sump set up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emelinda76

Aquarium Advice Freak
The sump consist of three compartments.. Right? What goes where?

I have it set up as follows : compartment where water first goes into crushed coral, enough poly filters ... Second compartment .. The slimmer , a pump, chemi pures n purigens.. N big piece of fiji rock....Third compartment ... Pumps to bring back water into pump ...

I am missing anything? Should move things around?

Any thought? Anyone

What do you mean crushed corals and poly filters? Is the crushed coral a substrate in the first section?

Is the ChemiPure and Purigen in bags, reactors, what?

Is the skimmer in the second compartment?

What is the pump for in the second section?

I had my skimmer (at least its output) in the first section so that any bubbles that may come out are handled before they get to the return pump.

Are you going to have a fuge?

Here is a pic of my fuge. You can see the drain from the tank and the return from the skimmer in the first section (far left). This skimmer is extermal so it sits right behind the sump. The middle section is a fuge that has oolite as a substrate and a heater. The last section houses all the pumps. Return pump to the display, pump to the skimmer, and the pump that runs the reactors (hanging on the back, returns to first section).
You can also see the auto top off on the right which has the sensor in the last section (where the pumps are) but fills in the first section.
img_1225076_0_0a467086b1d609830d1c958ccfbe0e84.jpg

Fishguy2727 said:
What do you mean crushed corals and poly filters? Is the crushed coral a substrate in the first section?

Is the ChemiPure and Purigen in bags, reactors, what?

Is the skimmer in the second compartment?

What is the pump for in the second section?

I had my skimmer (at least its output) in the first section so that any bubbles that may come out are handled before they get to the return pump.

Are you going to have a fuge?

Here is a pic of my fuge. You can see the drain from the tank and the return from the skimmer in the first section (far left). This skimmer is extermal so it sits right behind the sump. The middle section is a fuge that has oolite as a substrate and a heater. The last section houses all the pumps. Return pump to the display, pump to the skimmer, and the pump that runs the reactors (hanging on the back, returns to first section).
You can also see the auto top off on the right which has the sensor in the last section (where the pumps are) but fills in the first section.

Maybe i dont have term correct sorry new at these..

The crushed coral were placed inside the black box in the sump .. Above that there i placed some fine poly filter... The chemi n purigens are in bags - directly underneath the dirty water flow that comes from the tank. In the middle is where the skimmer is (( this is from right to left) return pump for chiller n a live rock

.. Just before the third chamber there a separation which is where I have the chemi pure... Third chamber there is the return pump with clean water

Attachments

• image-3403208777.jpg
    image-3403208777.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 79
  • image-484971229.jpg
    image-484971229.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 60
  • image-2678427632.jpg
    image-2678427632.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 59
  • image-1517708435.jpg
    image-1517708435.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 90
Honestly I don't believe most of the expensive resin medias. Few tanks are so close to ideal that those types of media will make a difference. If you feel it is making a difference in your tank by all means keep using it.

Are you sure you need a chiller? They are expensive so I am guessing you had issues and bought it, but if it came with the setup (if you got it used or something) you may not need it. Even with halides I had few customers who needed one.

What type of tank is this? Is it reef? What size? Any pics or info on the display? This can alter the setup for the sump.

I'm not to sure about any chems in a sump,although there is good flow I personally reccommend using cannister filters for any chems,also do you have a bubble trap.
I too would have the skimmer in the first section,
third sec pumps into pump???

David S said:
I'm not to sure about any chems in a sump,although there is good flow I personally reccommend using cannister filters for any chems,also do you have a bubble trap.
I too would have the skimmer in the first section,
third sec pumps into pump???

It's really two not counting the biological box

Back
Top Bottom