Sump vs canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
As the title states I want to get the low down on the difference between the two. I am setting up a 100 gallon soon and am thinking about filtration. I have one fluval 405 and was thinking I'd just get another. Then I started thinking about a sump. So which so you guys would be better for a freshwater tank?

The fluval would be easier but a sump is more effective if setup correctly, increases water volume, and gives you the option of a refugium which can drastically cut back nitrates.

After running a sump/fuge on my SW tank and seeing how effective they can be on freshwater tanks ill never setup another tank under 50 gallons without one SW or FW. :)

Mrc8858 said:
After running a sump/fuge on my SW tank and seeing how effective they can be on freshwater tanks ill never setup another tank under 50 gallons without one SW or FW. :)

Well I will be building a stand for the 100 gallon and will have a 55 standard tank laying around. I was think of looking up the diagram to a sump and building it. Looks like I would just have to channel the water to pass through different levels of filtration (media) eventually to be sucked back up to the tank by a submersible pond pump. Is this the basics of it?

Yep its actually very simple and once you have a full understanding of the basics you can start customizing it to your specific needs and wants. If I were you I would do a trickle system in the first section leading to a refugium for plants to soak up some of the nutrients leading to better water quality and lastly a return section which is a very basic sump/fuge setup and is pretty much the standard.

cichlid_tank619 said:
Well I will be building a stand for the 100 gallon and will have a 55 standard tank laying around. I was think of looking up the diagram to a sump and building it. Looks like I would just have to channel the water to pass through different levels of filtration (media) eventually to be sucked back up to the tank by a submersible pond pump. Is this the basics of it?

Basically, but you also want to keep trAtes in check. Adding a planted area in your sump (fuge) will help keep trAtes down. I'm building a sump for my new 150g African tank. I already have the overflows built and the wet/dry part of my sump put together :)

Mrc8858 said:
Yep its actually very simple and once you have a full understanding of the basics you can start customizing it to your specific needs and wants. If I were you I would do a trickle system in the first section leading to a refugium for plants to soak up some of the nutrients leading to better water quality and lastly a return section which is a very basic sump/fuge setup and is pretty much the standard.

+1! Wow, ur fast ;)

AndrewsPistol said:
+1! Wow, ur fast ;)

I try my best lol.. you'll be getting a message later tonight or in the am from my GF with your SS info :)

So what you guys are saying is there to be some live plants in the sump tank to remove waste from the water before it returns back to the 100 gallon.

My idea was to have it syphon down, pass through some floss pads for larger material, theme through something like seachem matrix and bio rings or bio balls then get pumped back up to the tank. My idea was to build a "40ish gallon canister".. Is that all wrong?

I also for got to mention that my tank will be mainly gravel, cobble stone and fish (frontosas). No plants. If that matters

cichlid_tank619 said:
So what you guys are saying is there to be some live plants in the sump tank to remove waste from the water before it returns back to the 100 gallon.

My idea was to have it syphon down, pass through some floss pads for larger material, theme through something like seachem matrix and bio rings or bio balls then get pumped back up to the tank. My idea was to build a "40ish gallon canister".. Is that all wrong?

I also for got to mention that my tank will be mainly gravel, cobble stone and fish (frontosas). No plants. If that matters

He is saying to have a trickle filter. They sell them or you can make one. It's cheaper if you make it. The water comes down into a area filled with filter floss. Goes threw a plate that has holes and the water trickles over bio balls or other media. Then it goes into another section where the pump will be but you can make it a planted section aswell. Like this but mine is a store bought trickle filter that drains into a 29g planted tank then gets pumped back up.

ForumRunner_20121012_023402.jpg

ForumRunner_20121012_023418.jpg

52693-albums10054-picture41409.jpg

52693-albums10054-picture41411.jpg

Andrew McFadden said:
He is saying to have a trickle filter. They sell them or you can make one. It's cheaper if you make it. The water comes down into a area filled with filter floss. Goes threw a plate that has holes and the water trickles over bio balls or other media. Then it goes into another section where the pump will be but you can make it a planted section aswell. Like this but mine is a store bought trickle filter that drains into a 29g planted tank then gets pumped back up.

Wow great setup Andrew I don't think I've ever seen your filtration before now.

Mrc8858 said:
Wow great setup Andrew I don't think I've ever seen your filtration before now.
Thanks, it doesn't look like that now lol! Well it does just the planted section doesn't the driftwood went to another tank. And my wifes cousin gave me a ton of plants that are in there now.

I still use two canisters but I think I'm going to turn them off. Because I don't need them and I think they are the cause of a lot of my trates.

To the op
I'd go with the sump and call it done ;)

Back
Top Bottom