Sunfish with Cichlids in my 75 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Everything Fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I am new to this forum so I don't know any of you. For the past month or so I have gone back and forth SO many times about what to stock in my 75 gallon. I will definitely be doing one or two SA or CA cichlids but have also wanted natives for so long. I think if I choose the right sunfish and the right cichlids that they will coexist pretty peacefully. As far as water parameters: temperature is 75.5F and ph is 7.6. Water changes are 40% weekly. I will also be doing a few catfish in the tank including a Striped Raphael Catfish, either a Jaguar or Four Line Pim, A Sailfin Pleco (I know the pleco gets to big but I already have it and it will be upgraded in a few years, 2 more than likely), and MAYBE a spotted raphael but probably not. In addition to my 6 Giant Danios.

Here is where it gets a little confusing. I am getting the cichlid(s) in about a week and a half and I am not getting the sunfish for a few months when I can go get one born last year so its of size but not gigantic. I will be catching the sunfish either with a dipnet or rod and reel w/ bent barb on the hook. So I need to have the cichlids not kill the sunfish on sight, what should I do about that.

So what would be some good sunfish and cichlids to go with the other fish I listed? Some cichlids I like are Green Severums (almost a definate), firemouths, Blue Acaras, Convicts, Thanks guys!

Nevermind, I think I will just go all cichlids.
I will make a new thread under cichlids.
Can a mod close this thread please.

Too bad, it is a nifty idea. Jonah's Aquarium has expertise and sun fish.

You think it's a good idea, others have said otherwise many times to me. Maybe I will attempt it, I just don't want to bring in disease from outside into my tank. If I did try it would this work:

1 green severum
1 pumpkinseed or bluegill
6 giant danios
1 striped raphael catfish
1 sailfin pleco (2 years only)
1 jaguar catfish
1 spotted raphael catfish

I wouldn't. Not only do you have potential disease issues mixing the two, but the temperature needs are significantly different as well.

I've kept bluegill with some of my cichlids for years, they tend to do better with South American cichlids though. Given enough space for a bluegill to grow they aren't much different than some cichlids. I've never had any problems.

Temp could be a problem though, deepening on what you want to keep.

I've always kept blue gills in my track and Sun fish and have never had a problem I say do it

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

SOLUTION-Buy another tank. I'm going to do a natives tank this summer and want to do a stream ecosystem. I've kept sunfish of several varieties and they are pigs. They will eat until the burst. They are neat and make a lot of cichlids look whimppy.

Back
Top Bottom