supplements...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ineubis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just want to make sure I'm not overdoing anything.

I am adding Kent brand Iodine, Strontium, Liquid Calcium and Essentials Elements.

I have a 20g tank, and the measurements on the back are for 50g (or 55g, don't have a bottle handy), so I'm essentially halving the doses of them.

I'm adding daily:

1/2 tsp of calcium
3-4 drops of iodine

then 1/2 tsp of Strontium every 4 days, and 1/2 tsp of Essentials bi-weekly.

sound good?

sound good?

1. Proper and consistent PWCs will replace the depleted resources in your tank. (saving you some extra money).
2. It is recommended to not add anything to your tank, that you don't have the tests for. Otherwise, you might over do it.
3. I am FOWLR, so I do not know how to dose a reef tank. I try to keep my tank as natural as possible. Hopefully some one with experience with those chems will be able to help better.

Get test kits and test before adding anything...
Post numbers and we can help you out.. Without testing you can wipe out the tank if overdosed.

I agree with everyone else. Post your results. There is no need to add supplements unless you are a hardcore reefer or you have some other situation that would cause you to add them. Either way as Roka stated, you replentish everything when you do a PWC.

Just weigh in here...IMHO, I think reef supplements are a complete waste of money. As mentioned, trace elements can be successfully managed by regular water changes and adding things without knowing base-line levels first is risky. There are some cases where a Ph buffer may be needed due to source water issues or that CA is need in a stoney coral rich tank. Above and beyond that, not needed. There is a lot cooler stuff to spend your money on at the LFS 8)

heh, ok, what about Live Phytoplankton?

4 oz. every other day.

I'm adding that to feed them as well.

whatever i'm doing, it's helping them somewhat...very nice looking well-fed corals in my opinion. (the placebo effet :p )

I looked for calcium, iodine, and strontium test kits, and did not find any at my LFS....two actually. just test kits for treatment chemicals, and water params.

will look online.

thanks!

heh, ok, what about Live Phytoplankton?
judging by your profile you do not have any filter-feeders. The phytoplankton is really not needed. It can also foul water pretty quickly, especially in a smaller tank. I would not use it.

Back
Top Bottom