Surprise Platy fry! Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
As I mentioned in my "is she pregnant thread" she was apparently pregnant. Much to my surprise. I'm still not sure if she is done or how many there are. I know for sure I've seen 3 but they are excellent hiders so I'm hoping they are still going strong and maybe there will even be more.

Anyways. They are in my community tank which was my general plan, it just happened sooner than expected. I'm worried about how to feed them mostly. I know I can feed them crushed flakes but how? They mostly hang out on the bottom. I've got a few branches I've torn off of a fake plant floating on the top but I'm not sure if it's enough or if they will venture up there for food. I've seen them in a rock cave in the middle of the tank and near the back corner where I've got some fake plants and driftwood.

I just picked up some parry winkle(sp?) shells and am going to clean/boil them and add them for some added hiding spots but am still concerned about feed. Is there anything I can feed them that will sink and they will perhaps have a better change of eating?

If you see any swimming near the surface you can just feed them finely crushed flake food then, otherwise in not sure there's a way you can feed them if they hide near the bottom. You can get a breeder net and keep the fry in them to feed them and keep an eye on them better. It'll also prevent them from getting eaten by the bigger fish.

When my Dalmatian Molly had her fry I put them in a breeder tank cause my Dalmatian Molly and the other fish would eat the fry. Any live bearer will eat their young. I fed them crushed flake until I bought fry food which is basically finely crushed flakes. Once they get a couple weeks old they can eat some bigger pieces of flake. But this is just my experience and opinion.

I've debated the breeder. I was planning to set up this tank with a planted spot for fry as I want to try breeding in the community tank. Something in a corner that provide cover for all levels with floating plants and some water sprite but didn't get it done in time as I didn't think she was pregnant. It was a pretty big surprise. lol.

I'm still not sure how many there are. I know there was at least 3 as I found 2 and saw her birth the third. This morning I've seem some.. a pair together and other single sightings but I'm not sure if the other single sightings are the same fish or not. They have taken shelter in the shells and I've soaked some tubifex works and a bit of algae wafer and mushed it up over/around the shells so hopefully they will get some of this.

They are bigger than I expected, the only tank member that I think can eat them is the DG and perhaps momma. I'll see if I can get to a local store and check out breeding boxes/nets but I may not be able to get out until Friday and if they make it til then I'd say they are pretty smart.

I'll certainly be getting my butt in gear to set up for fry. Don't want any more surprises. I've only had momma for about 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom