SW Noobie... looking for ideas and suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The way I mix my water is disttled water . I put it in a tote bin with a power head and mix for 24 hours this allows the water to mix and the co to be blown off and balance the ph .
The next day I add the salt and mix for an addtional 24 hours. Again allowing it to balance once that is done you can add (if you are using it ) your sand and LR then I pump the water into the tank so it doesnt kick up too much sand ect... It will finish stablizing in the tank while you go through your cycle HTH

add LR at the same time or should i let the water regulate over the weekend?
Let the salt mix settle first IMO if you're mixing it in the tank. And if so leave a couple inches of room at the top so you can add fresh water if you mix it on the heavy side. Maybe even a couple more inches so the rock can be added too. Add the powerhead.

I'd mix the SW in the bare tank, 3/4 of the way up. Also get your SW reservoir up and going with more salt and distilled water mix. Add the powerhead and let it settle overnight. Test both the tank and the reservoir to get the salinity right. Add sand and live rock. If the rock is uncured, maybe it'll cycle the tank for you if enuf die-off is present. Push the rock to the bottom of the tank in case you get that goby and pistol shrimp. Don't want it to topple if burrowers get to burrowing. While you're either cycling with the live rock or shrimp, you'll most likely play w/the rock to get it like you want. Go for the really pourous, holey stuff, not the weighty stuff. Anyway, that's the way I might do it. I'm sure someone has a another - it's just my .02. Of course there are variables, such as if you use fresh live rock with bacteria on it already and get no cycle.

What's the plan for the rock anyway.

I keep my FOWLR tank at 1.020-1.021, reef should be around 1.024-1.025ish, I believe.

ok stoped by my lfs (lfs #2) so see what they have cause they have a better SW selection..now now have more questions :)

1. What kind of substrate will be best for me? Sand? Crushed Coral or Live Sand? (if LS, is the LS in a bag really still ALIVE?)

2. how much live rock will i need to have proper filtrations? i have read 2 pounds per gallon of water...so approximately 20 pounds of LR? what is a good price (LFS sells it for 12$ per pound) so 240$ worth of LR does that sound normal? there must be a better (and Cheaper) place to get LR online...

3. as far as a skimmer they only carry one (look a lot like a HOB filter) it is rated for up to 100 gallons. although my tank is less then 100 gallons it seams like i will not need 10 X the skimmer! so suggestion on a good nano worthy skimmer and where i might order one would be nice too

thanks for all the help!

edit: had to put a space in 10 X did not realize that 0 + X equals an alien giving you the finger!

JDogg said:
ok stoped by my lfs (lfs #2) so see what they have cause they have a better SW selection..now now have more questions :)

1. What kind of substrate will be best for me? Sand? Crushed Coral or Live Sand? (if LS, is the LS in a bag really still ALIVE?)

2. how much live rock will i need to have proper filtrations? i have read 2 pounds per gallon of water...so approximately 20 pounds of LR? what is a good price (LFS sells it for 12$ per pound) so 240$ worth of LR does that sound normal? there must be a better (and Cheaper) place to get LR online...

3. as far as a skimmer they only carry one (look a lot like a HOB filter) it is rated for up to 100 gallons. although my tank is less then 100 gallons it seams like i will not need 10 X the skimmer! so suggestion on a good nano worthy skimmer and where i might order one would be nice too

thanks for all the help!

edit: had to put a space in 10 X did not realize that 0 + X equals an alien giving you the finger!

I would use Live Sand, its what i used in my old 250g Reef. Here is a article on LS that might help ya http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/livesandsetup/a/aa070198.htm

2lbs per gallon sounds about right for liverock, i got a lot of mine from craigslist for a better price than my LFS.

Here is a "nano" skimmer that i found http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers_current_usa_fission_nano_skimmer.asp?CartId= I can't vouch for its effectivness though :)

Good Luck

1. I started with LS/CC combo. I quickly realized the sand sunk to the bottom. I also noticed the CC was kind of a pain to keep clean.
2. LBs/gallon is an "estimation" a great one, but as austinsdad states, surface area is the way to go, the more nooks and crannies the better. $12.99 is high, I bought a piece for that amount once. I would suggest a mixture of base rock and LR, to cut on the cost. Or just buy it a little at a time.
3. I don't have a skimmer, due to space, so I can't help you there. I do know that it is best to pay the extra $$ for a better quality skimmer.

for the LR I posted on craigs list to see if anyone offers me some, i will of course not buy sight unseen.

i think i will try ls then :)

If you can find aragonite playsand, you can use that as well. It seems to be more on the East Coast, check your local Wal-Mart, HD or Lowes...

roka64 said:
If you can find aragonite playsand, you can use that as well. It seems to be more on the East Coast, check your local Wal-Mart, HD or Lowes...
i used play sand in one of my tanks for a while (if it is the same kind as what you are talking about) i found it very hard to clean and it burned out the motor in my filter :?

I have never used that nano fission skimmer, but have heard okay things about it. It's functionality is alot like the Seaclone, in that it might not be as productive. It's a newer item though, and I don't think alot of people have had time to give it a try. I think it'd be cool! It's defintley better than no skimmer at all, and you can't beat the price.

JDogg said:
i used play sand in one of my tanks for a while (if it is the same kind as what you are talking about) i found it very hard to clean and it burned out the motor in my filter
Did you rinse it first?

roka64 said:
JDogg said:
i used play sand in one of my tanks for a while (if it is the same kind as what you are talking about) i found it very hard to clean and it burned out the motor in my filter
Did you rinse it first?
yes (being a geology geek) i ran a sample through my soil sieve and it is 45% silt/clay i don't know if it is possilbe to wash it that good.

JDogg said:
yes (being a geology geek)
Hmmm, you might be able to locate a good source of the aragonite sand, as opposed to silicate based sand.....

The oolite is hard to deal with, and yes, it can and will eventually do a number on pumps and equipment. (Especially if you have diggers or sand sifters.)

The next grain size up of aragonite is perfect. (I actually mix it with a small amount of larger grain [to prevent compaction and reduction in degassing].

Some fish such as jawfish may need the larger grain mixed with the smaller to ensure stable burrows. Some aquarists intentionally add rubble to aid the jawfish in it's construction.

roka64 said:
JDogg said:
yes (being a geology geek)
Hmmm, you might be able to locate a good source of the aragonite sand, as opposed to silicate based sand.....
the play sand i had was not silica sand it was brown with multiple grain sizes from silt up to 1-2 mm pebbles (kind of like glacial outwash). sold it at menards (like home depot) as "play sand" in 20 lb(?) bags.

You are lucky to have at least found some. I ran around all of town with a bottle of vinegar, testing sand! LOL! I didn't find anything!

due to problems in my planted tank i will have to postpone this project for a few weeks...

Back
Top Bottom