SW rock to FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Landy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can you put SW live rock into a FW tank?

I guess you'd have to let it soak well before but could you do it and would it filter FW like it does SW?

Thanks

Thats a good question... I don't think you could but my guess would be no. But lets see what the others would have to say about it. :)

LoL, if you had a little salt in there anyway would that really be all that bad?

Especially if it would filter it that would be dope.

Thanks man, LoL, keep em comin tho. LoL.

If you put SW LR into a FW tank you will kill everything on the rock. The bacteria is similar to what develops in a FW tank but it is SW rather then FW. I have no idea what kind of reaction your fish would have to the introduction of SW to their tank. I have used aquarium salt in my FW tanks but I'm pretty sure that is different then ocean SW.

If you are wanting surface area for bacteria to colonize then get some dry base rock for your tank and let it develop in the FW.

Thanks ziggy, where do I get dry base rock? I didn't know they sold rock for FW like the do SW. Does dbr do the same thing as LR does for SW?

I don't know if it will benefit a FW tank or not. I guess it will give surface area for bacteria to grow. I'm not a FW guy.

Marcorocks.com has base rock. You may have some PH issues in FW with that rock I don't know...

Ok, will that rock tend to promot algae growth? Cuz the last rocks that I found in a stream did. LoL, now I'm gonna do a bo. Haha.

I don't think it is the rock that promotes algae growth. Algae will grow based on your water parameters. I'm not up on FW keeping so you'll have to get another member's opinion on that issue.

Back
Top Bottom