SW to FW ??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdawg75

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a 55 G. that was a SW tank yesterday. I intend on using it for freshwater Cichlids maybe Mbuna. SO my questions are how best to clean out the tank and can I flush the substrate and Rock that was in the SW to put it in my FW Mbuna tank? If so what methods do you all suggest to make this as painless but complete as possible? Or should I scrap the Rock and substrate from the SW and re stock from LFS?

Thank You all in advance for any answers or time spent on my problems.

I've heard people like to soak their tanks in vinegar. I just rinse it with water a few times. You can "kill" the live rock by placing it out in the sun to dry out for a day then soaking it with fresh water again.

Thanks rive1404, It looks like Ill have to scrub the tank a little, the previous owner had a rock wall so there are some nasty algae deposits and stuff on the glass.

No problem! Always good to help a fellow SEC fan even if you are a Vol :D (Don't forget to post pictures)

you're in luck that you're going to mbuna - they dig hard water. If there is actual live rock I'd try to keep it live and sell it to a SW person - terrible to waste the stuff.

Personally I'd rinse the tank out and scrape off the algae. You might want to use some vinegar, but since you'll be keeping malawis, any carbonates that slowly leach into the water shouldn't bother them as long as you keep up with pwc. The substrate might be ok too. I know a few guys who keep mbuna over crushed coral (white sand) substrates and the fish seem to dig it. Amazonians? Not so much...

Thanks IvanMike and ya for sure rive1404 we shall fight amongst ourselves but we hold true to the outside of SEC folks lol Pics will come ...

Back
Top Bottom