Swapping from sand to soil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devon6209

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 60gal planted tank with just sand as the substrate. Within the next few weeks I am going to make mineralized top soil and would like to use it as a substrate. The tank is stocked right now with:
14 tiger barbs
8 neon tetras
1 opaline gourami
1 elephantnose
1 rubberlip pleco
1 clown pleco
2 bamboo shrimp
And alot of trumpet snails

Fluval. 306 and aquatek 40-60
The main questions are
What to do with fish while changing substrate.
How long to wait to put fish back in.
Can the Malaysian trumpet snails live in top soil?
The only other tanks I have access to are 2 ten gals. But I have a filter for them besides 1 small aquatek.
Ps I might be able to get a 20gal for a few days

Your fish should be fine in an over filtered small tank as long as you cut down on feeding. Whenever I dirt a tank I let it run overnight and then do an 80% water change the next day, after that I add some of my hardier fish and let it run over night again, the next day I do another large water change and add the rest of my fish afterwards. Make sure you run an established filter and maybe keep a little sand and/or water from your established tank. Good luck and have fun!

Consider mineralizing your top soil. It will lead to less algae, less organic release, and no ammonia at all. It takes some time to prepare, but is all around superior to plain old dirt and will allow you to do a same day transfer (so you can keep your fish in a bucket with an airstone).

aqua_chem said:
Consider mineralizing your top soil. It will lead to less algae, less organic release, and no ammonia at all. It takes some time to prepare, but is all around superior to plain old dirt and will allow you to do a same day transfer (so you can keep your fish in a bucket with an airstone).

Thanks, that's what I plan to do. Any idea if this top soil will work?

Attachments

• image-3108770246.jpg
    image-3108770246.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 63
aqua_chem said:
Not sure. Looks mulchy.

Yea, I dumped it out and went to a local Mulch and More and just bought plane dirt

How much dirt should I use? My dimensions are 12.5x48. 60 gal

I've done a lot of mineralized topsoil and I usually aim for about 5lbs of soil per sq foot of footprint, so about 20lbs would be good. If you want it deeper you could always add more, but I like having a fairly thin layer since I cap it with another inch to two inches anyway. So 20-30lbs is a good target area.

jetajockey said:
I've done a lot of mineralized topsoil and I usually aim for about 5lbs of soil per sq foot of footprint, so about 20lbs would be good. If you want it deeper you could always add more, but I like having a fairly thin layer since I cap it with another inch to two inches anyway. So 20-30lbs is a good target area.

Lol I bought about 70lbs for a dollar. I will thin it out after it dries

After the mineralizing process and screening you may lose quite a bit of it, if there a lot of organics materials in it. Sounds like you have plenty to work with anyhow.

Definitely go step by step through that link that aqua_chem posted, it's very helpful.

jetajockey said:
After the mineralizing process and screening you may lose quite a bit of it, if there a lot of organics materials in it. Sounds like you have plenty to work with anyhow.

Definitely go step by step through that link that aqua_chem posted, it's very helpful.

Yea I've read it like 3 times lol. The dirt is pretty bare very few rocks or anything. But I am going to make a screen out of idk what yet bc I don't have any chicken wire... I think I'm going to drill holes in some old plexiglas and use it

jetajockey said:
I use screen door mesh. A collander/strainer would probably work also.

Did you source some clay/potash/dolomite?

Yea. I purchased some from nilocg from TPT

jetajockey said:
Oh okay just checking, I have all the raw materials so I was going to offer to send them if you couldn't find them.

Good looking out thanks

What should I cap it with?
Play sand(already own)
Fluorite sand black
Eco-complete black
Something else

PFS is a popular and economic choice. I generally don't trust play sand as it is commonly sourced locally and therefore can be a crapshoot as to particle size and chemistry.

aqua_chem said:
PFS is a popular and economic choice. I generally don't trust play sand as it is commonly sourced locally and therefore can be a crapshoot as to particle size and chemistry.

Thanks I'll try to get my hands on that or some black sand. Where is a good place to get black sand

Back
Top Bottom