swapping gravel for eco-complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea I know it is people have used it for a long time. That's why I said it because they are both better than kitty litter. I'm not that creative. :)

And forget I said anything about it. Please don't use it unless you know what you are doing. Like aquachem said GOOD kitty litter not all brands or kinds are good or should be used in your aquarium.

Discusapisto said:
Yeah in this day and age I deff wouldn't use it way too many good substrates out there to go back to those days. Lol!

Haha, too many good substrates out there, but too few presidents in my wallet, if you know what I mean.

aqua_chem said:
Haha, too many good substrates out there, but too few presidents in my wallet, if you know what I mean.

Oh do I ever lol! I'd have to have ten jobs and live three lifetimes to keep all the fish and plants or set ups I've ever wanted.:)

jetajockey said:
I have kitty litter (oildri ) in my 125.

Just the fact that ecocomplete doesn't need rinsing makes it go to the top of my list. Its just not my budget build choice.

Seriously? I rinsed three bags of it plus one of sand in like an hour and a half tops. And the sand took most of it.

Definitely. Just being able to open the bag, dump it in, and start planting is nice. As you know I do a lot of other alternative substrate materials so I have spent my time soaking/rinsing various things, I just think that the ease factor of ecocomplete gives it major points in a basic planted setup, especially for someone who is just getting into it.

Last edited:
jetajockey said:
Definitely. Just being able to open the bag, dump it in, and start planting is nice. As you know I do a lot of other alternative substrate materials so I have spent my time soaking/rinsing various things, I just think that the ease factor of ecocomplete gives it major points in a basic planted setup, especially for someone who is just getting into it.

For a 125 gallon fluorite will burn up your wallet so I see your point there I don't blame you for using the kitty litter lol! I'd imagine it's much cheaper.

jetajockey said:
For my 125 I did oil-dri (kitty litter) and mineralized topsoil, it cost around $15 in materials, can't beat it! :D

Dang heck no you can't beat that! My 125 discus tank for my adult pairs cost me a fortune in substrate I did flourite black sand you can imagine what that cost:( wish I woulda talked to ya a year ago lol! My wife wouldn't have yelled at me so bad if I went cheaper on that tank oh well to late now.

Thanks for the responses. I did expect that I should reconsider taking the fish out while I swap out the gravel for eco-complete.

I have a 5g bucket I can use; that should work better than a tupperware container both in size and for using a heater. I also have a spare 100w heater I can use during the transition.

Sounds like I need to make this a weekend project rather than try to do it mid-week.

James_in_MN said:
Thanks for the responses. I did expect that I should reconsider taking the fish out while I swap out the gravel for eco-complete.

I have a 5g bucket I can use; that should work better than a tupperware container both in size and for using a heater. I also have a spare 100w heater I can use during the transition.

Sounds like I need to make this a weekend project rather than try to do it mid-week.

Oh yeah it's deff a weekend project trust me lol! I just switched my 55 gallon over last Saturday it took most of the day.

Well, my weekend project is done. I was able to net out all of my fish, took out all of my plants, and swapped the gravel.

The water got so nasty from taking out the old gravel that I replaced almost all of it. I'll recheck water parameters tomorrow.

I must say, the blackness of the eco-complete looks fantastic compared to the dark/light blue cheapo gravel I had from PetCo. I like how it shows the fish's colors better also, even the darker colored fish like black neon tetras.

I've also decided to not put the decorations back in. I had a Greek ruins, a few columns, and broken ancient jars in the tank before. Now, I think I'll opt for more natural items like driftwood and rocks. It may also help contribute to a mini-cycle (with the removal of the old gravel), so I'll have to watch closely.

James_in_MN said:
Well, my weekend project is done. I was able to net out all of my fish, took out all of my plants, and swapped the gravel.

The water got so nasty from taking out the old gravel that I replaced almost all of it. I'll recheck water parameters tomorrow.

I must say, the blackness of the eco-complete looks fantastic compared to the dark/light blue cheapo gravel I had from PetCo. I like how it shows the fish's colors better also, even the darker colored fish like black neon tetras.

I've also decided to not put the decorations back in. I had a Greek ruins, a few columns, and broken ancient jars in the tank before. Now, I think I'll opt for more natural items like driftwood and rocks. It may also help contribute to a mini-cycle (with the removal of the old gravel), so I'll have to watch closely.

You got any pictures? Yeah I agree black substrate looks great compared with the plants and fish colours, also I think its a better idea going for a more natural look I prefer that :)

Just keep using stability or a product like that to keep your tank cycled and you should be fine. Just keep an eye on param's for a bit do water changes if things get outta control.

No need to drop the cash on a product IMO. Just keep testing and watching, and change water as needed- your original plan will work just fine. You'll have plenty of bacteria in your filter and the colony should quickly multiply to the point where it can handle your bioload.

You got any pictures? Yeah I agree black substrate looks great compared with the plants and fish colours, also I think its a better idea going for a more natural look I prefer that :)

I'll take a few pictures and post them later today when I get a chance.

When I moved my RCS and java moss from a 2.5g tank to a 5g, I added black sand as its substrate, and that shows the shrimp quite nicely. If it wouldn't be such a PITA, I would replace the white gravel in my 10g tank as well.

No need to drop the cash on a product IMO. Just keep testing and watching, and change water as needed- your original plan will work just fine. You'll have plenty of bacteria in your filter and the colony should quickly multiply to the point where it can handle your bioload.

I have to agree with severum mama. I've attempted to use the bacteria in a bottle before without much success (if any). However, if that bacteria would work, then I've already introduced a bunch of it from the eco-complete, so we'll see how things go.

The bacteria in ecocomplete and most other bacteria supplements are not the same kind that do the bulk of the nitrification in aquaria naturally. That doesn't mean they won't do the job, but I wouldn't bet my fish on it.

Back
Top Bottom