sweaty feet and fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BmxBandGeek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my water smells like sweaty stinky socks

water perimeters are:
PH 7.2
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites .30ppm
Nitrates 4ppm
GH is high...higher then like..250ppm
Kh is 200ppm

How often do you do water changes? What filter are you using? Do you keep carbon in the filter? What fish/how many fish are in the tank?

For now, you should do a water change since your nitrites are up.
Are you currently cycling your tank?

How long has the tank been set up?

Not to long judging by the Params.

But, Do you have live plants in your tank?

i have 3 goldfish, 2 redtaild black sharks, 1 pleco and 6 zebras..no plants and i think its almost near completion of cycling..my tank has been set up for about 3-4weeks now..i do water changes on sundays, im using a eclipse filter with carbon

It's probably the goldfish, either way you are grossly overstocked, I don't think they make eclipse hoods for anything bigger than like 30-37 gallons I'd take the goldfish back and one of the sharks (They can be aggressive towards each other when they grow up) should probably go back.

how is 2 redtaild sharks, 6 zebras, and 1 pleco over crowded?..i can understand with the goldies..but itsnt it an inch a gallon?

You're certainly not overstocked for a 37 gallon if you remove the goldfish. In fact...you could easily add more fish. I suspect that your 'sweat sock' water is a combination of overfeeding and messy goldfish. You're getting excessive bacterial growth and you may have some anaerobic bacteria action going on in the gravel if there's a build-up of uneaten food in it. Anaerobic bacteria grow under conditions of low-oxygen and release (among other things) hydrogen sulfide gas that smells a lot like rotten eggs. I recommend you buy a gravel vacuum (if you don't already have one) and use it weekly when you do your water changes.

well i only feed the shrimp when there really nice..and sit when i ask them to..lol..nah, i juss put the shrimp in there when there really happy to see me, so i can givem a treat..about once a week

Back
Top Bottom