Swim bladder issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taiken5968

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a tiger barb that is eating has plenty of energy, but seems to have trouble swimming down. It tries to swim almost straight down but cannot make it more than a few inches.
If this is a swim bladder issue, what if anything can I do to help the fish?

Usually swim bladder issues show up as fish not being able to get to the surface, or not being able to stay upright, or swimming at an angle. Simply not being able to swim straight down might or might not be swim bladder related.

There is fairly decent article on the common symptoms, causes and a couple of treatment options for swim bladder problems here.

Aquarium Fish Disease Swim Bladder Disorder

Have a look and see if anything it says seems to apply. One of the first things they say is to not feed the fish for 3 days, as if it is swim bladder related, pressure from internal organs, often from the gut, may be the cause. Hope something on there is helpful.

Usually swim bladder issues show up as fish not being able to get to the surface, or not being able to stay upright, or swimming at an angle. Simply not being able to swim straight down might or might not be swim bladder related.

There is fairly decent article on the common symptoms, causes and a couple of treatment options for swim bladder problems here.

Aquarium Fish Disease Swim Bladder Disorder

Have a look and see if anything it says seems to apply. One of the first things they say is to not feed the fish for 3 days, as if it is swim bladder related, pressure from internal organs, often from the gut, may be the cause. Hope something on there is helpful.

Thanks for the information. I'll give it a look and see if I can find anything useful. I stopped by petco for advise and they basically said let it die.

The fish seems to be doing better last time I checked on it.

Ok let's be honest right now I'm just trying to get on every question here. But I had a betta with a swim bladder issue and it seemed to healed within a month. I never treat him for anything just kept his water quality pristine and he healed right up.

I would never argue with keeping water as pristine as possible, especially for fish that appear to be sick or otherwise not quite right. And swim bladder issues do often resolve, especially if they were caused by digestive problems.

I find it odd though, that the fish in question swims right side up, not listing, not stuck at the bottom unable to rise, or lying on one side. All those are symptoms I have seen in fish myself, that turned out to be swim bladder troubles. Most were cured with dietary change, after not feeding for a few days.

Not being able to swim down could be a bladder issue, but it's not one of the commonly seen symptoms for sure.

I would never argue with keeping water as pristine as possible, especially for fish that appear to be sick or otherwise not quite right. And swim bladder issues do often resolve, especially if they were caused by digestive problems.

I find it odd though, that the fish in question swims right side up, not listing, not stuck at the bottom unable to rise, or lying on one side. All those are symptoms I have seen in fish myself, that turned out to be swim bladder troubles. Most were cured with dietary change, after not feeding for a few days.

Not being able to swim down could be a bladder issue, but it's not one of the commonly seen symptoms for sure.

I have been changing water every day for about 3 days. The problem seems to be gone. It is swimming with the rest of the barbs as of now.

Back
Top Bottom