Swimming Erratically Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjdave

Aquarium Advice Regular
As a side note some more info I left out about the tank are. Like I said a 10gl. Heater, HOB filter, and thats it . I was told that I did not need a air pump and stone with the rippeling water from the filter. Is this right? Also I have well water never had this before I was told to put nothing in it to treat it. In the past with county water I allways used Stress Coat,Stress Zyme. And Salt. Since my last post I have got Prime and started useing it. But my water problem is when it comes out of the tap it is crystal clear. Then I put it in jugs to get to room temp. for a few days and it turns milkly looking in the jug. And it turns my tank water milkly. It go's away it about 3 to 4 hours back to a clear looking water. Plus now one of my fish is looking like it may have Ick, Please Help me.
cjdave

Could be a bacterial bloom - is it milky white? Have you tested the well water for ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etcetera ?

Does the ich look like small, white salt grains?

Know I have not had the water tested. Can I get like Petsmart to do this? Yes it looks like salt on them. Thanks for your help.
cjdave

Yes, try a lfs but I recommend getting something like the API master test kit.

For ich raising temp slowly to 86f or 30c should cure (salt can help if not planted or in QT and fish not sensitive). Also meds will work. I hope to post a website on info on options tonight.

If you use heat - raise it slowly (google for rate) and heat will speed up the ich cycle so it may look worse before getting better.

Sound like some great advise above☺️.
But you need to know about your tap/well waters parameters. - just to know your basis. Invest in your API water test kit- asap.

Clean water is a must now and adjusting your heat slowly., alternatively I would use meds.

I have not been in this situation before, so apologies if I am not of much help.

Keep us updated. Holding thumbs!!!

Sorry to take so long to get back with everyone, but all my fish died. So what do I do now? If I take the temp up and do the salt thing how long do I have to wait before adding any fish? Thanks for everyones help.
cjdave

Sad news :(

I'd skip the salt, increase temp and give it 10 days. The temp increase is just to speed up the cycle, not essential. Water change and good to go. Meds not needed, it will die out.

I tend to start going into the lfs a few weeks early before I get any so I can see how the tanks are going but the turn over here isn't great.

Back
Top Bottom