Swimming Pool Creatures?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Personage

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So when the chlorine in my pool gets low I see these little creatures swimming along the surface. They obviously don't have legs and are specific to aquatic life. So I'm wondering if I could out one or two in my 55g tank. Would they be beneficial? Would the fish eat them? Do any of you know what I'm referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They'd get munched and it will be fun to watch.
But I wouldn't put them in the tank..
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

don't put it in your tank if you don't know what it is , I had a dragon fly nymph eat all my small fish , I never seen it till it hatched out
could be lots of good or bad stuff
My fathers next door Nabour had a 6' alligator in his pool one morning (south florida )
20 ' pythons don't have any legs lol
if you what put them in there own tank away from the other and well covered , or bring them to the wildlife dept or to a college biology dept to id them
I had a leach like animal that came with live food from a lfs , never found out what it was but was told to treat with safe copper , that stuff kills most inverts including ick, but is hard on catfish

Well thanks for the replies! They only have two little flappy extensions that propel them in the water. I doubt I would introduce them to the tank in fear of some parasitic effect that could essentially wipe out my fish. I'm going to research them and get back to you on this.

Well thanks for the replies! They only have two little flappy extensions that propel them in the water. I doubt I would introduce them to the tank in fear of some parasitic effect that could essentially wipe out my fish. I'm going to research them and get back to you on this.

Ohhh! I have those as well and was wondering what they are

Fishobsessed7

Okay I researched this and it is called Corixidae "Boatman" insect. They are Herbivore so they may not pose a threat to my tank - but I'm going to wait before I would introduce one to my aquarium.
Here is a link from Aquarium Advice on this bug - Scroll down to view the PIC!!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/strange-brown-thing-in-fry-grow-tank-112566.html

So is there anyone that can recommend putting this bug in my tank? I have live plants, substrate, algae, snails, kuohli loaches, cat fish, tetras, danios, etc.

Please Advise, Thanks! :)

The ideal aquarium is one that is as close to nature as possible and one that is well balanced. Simply put I would add it to my tank if it did in fact have a beneficial effect and for the same reason I have real plants, snails, moss balls, bottom feeders, CO2, plant food, etc. It is not an easy task to create such an environment for aquatic life in a container. Therefore it is essential that I explore all avenues to achieve the best possible balance in my tank. If this creature will help control algae and not pose a threat to the other inhabitants I will give it a place to survive in my aquatic community.

Back
Top Bottom