Switching from freshwater to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Connie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an 80 g tank with a 402 fluval canister filter. There is only 1 saltwater LFS besides Petco. I'm not happy with either.
What substrate should I use for a FO tank? I really like the fine sand. If I get the sand how do I clean it? Any advice will be appreciated!

You can vacuum sand, you just have to be careful doing it. I use a piece of airline tubing and more or less "hover" over the sand surface. I have black sand that is very expensive and I do not want to lose any. Also, being black, it shows all the detritus.

I have used many substrates from sand to crushed coral, a mix of the two and even regular gravel. Sand has been the best.

Janitor pkg.

I've read that there are starfish, shrimp, etc that clean the sand. can these be put in an FO tank? If so when?

connie i don't know how far you are away from phoenix but there was REALY cool place there called "The Ocean Floor" i went there when i visited my cousin and it was awesome.

Back
Top Bottom