Switching from HOB filter to a canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia258

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am switching from a topfin30 to a larger canister on my 40g freshwater tank. What is the safest way to go about this? I want to avoid any mini cycles and trouble

Hook up the canister and either leave both filters running for a couple weeks or if its possible use the media from your current filter and add it to your canister.

thanks for posting this as I installed a Fluval 206 today for my 36G and was wondering the same thing. I have both the HOB and Fluval running together.

I was thinking it might be possibly to take the bio bags from the current filter (I have one large one meant for the filter, one meant for a 10g filter, and one meant specifically to hold bacteria also from a 10g size filter) and let them float freely in the tank, then just remove the HOB and hook up the canister and leave it like that for a few weeks

The idea to put the bio bags into the canister could work but I haven't seen the inside of it and don't know how much room there is.

alia258 said:
I am switching from a topfin30 to a larger canister on my 40g freshwater tank. What is the safest way to go about this? I want to avoid any mini cycles and trouble

Hey Alia! Been wondering where you have been lately.

Easiest way... Cram your HOB media into the canister. Put it right below any bio media you are packing with. If it doesn't fit then rip the floss off the cartridge and stuff that under your bio media. Leave it there for a month at least. Don't even clean the canister for that month, just let it run.

Reuse any bio media you have currently running.

I just now read this thing online saying that my topfin30 filter isn't even big enough for a 29 gallon but... Ive been using it on my 40g and it works just fine! Wonder why that is?

Anyway, cramming the media into the canister sounds easy enough, but there are bits of carbon in the cotton bag things, won't those cause issues with the canister? Like sucked up sand hurts the equipment? Or should I not worry about anything like that because I'm totally wrong?

blert said:
Hey Alia! Been wondering where you have been lately.

I deleted the app because I was thinking I wouldn't need it anymore but I was wrong —.—""

My freshwater tank is doing great! Imma be starting a nano SW reef soon ^^

alia258 said:
I just now read this thing online saying that my topfin30 filter isn't even big enough for a 29 gallon but... Ive been using it on my 40g and it works just fine! Wonder why that is?

Anyway, cramming the media into the canister sounds easy enough, but there are bits of carbon in the cotton bag things, won't those cause issues with the canister? Like sucked up sand hurts the equipment? Or should I not worry about anything like that because I'm totally wrong?
So long as the bits of carbon can't get out of the bag thing. If you think it might then just cut them open and dump out the carbon first.

alia258 said:
I deleted the app because I was thinking I wouldn't need it anymore but I was wrong —.—""

My freshwater tank is doing great! Imma be starting a nano SW reef soon ^^
Good to have you back.

Me too! Just picked up a 28 gallon bow front that will be my son's tank for his FireFish and a few corals. I also have two 40b's just waiting for me to get my act together long enough to build a new stand for them. Both of those are heading for salt also. Much work in the near future.

My SW is gonna be a 10g nano, with a mated pair of purple fire fish.

I'll be getting the canister filter components hopefully today and if not tomorrow, I'll have the info on how everything goes on the switch, and if all goes well ill be posting a mini refugium thread :)

Hey everybody! I just almost switched the canister and filter, but I had some technical difficulties so now it's all hooked up but its off. I accidentally left this one little plate out that's supposed to go on top, and the canister is also quite loud, not in the ends of the tubes but the machine part itself. I'm not sure if putting the one missing peice (which is thin and simple, with no real use as far as I can tell {but I have never used a canister before} and I'm not sure what it does) I'm not sure if putting that peice in there will make it any quieter. Please help me guys!!!

It could be air still trapped in the canister that could be the source of the noise if so it will work itself out in a few hours or less depending on how much air is trapped in the canister. Properly setup canisters are virtually silent My air pump is louder then my canister and from 10 feet away I can't hear either one.

The top of the canister says "penn-plrx cascade" (with the proper little (R) and tm things) so I assume that's the model but if I'm wrong and need to look for something else, tell me.

I have no experience with Penn-Plax filters. Check the instructions and find out what that "plate" is.
If it is loud all I can say is, disassemble it and carefully put it back together while following the included instructions.

I bought it from a friend so I have no instructions, but I followed everything exactly the way he told me to (except the plate) and so I'm gonna put the plate in and start things up and see if it quiets down the way that someone mentioned prior saying it might be trapped air

Is this the plate that goes on top of the media stack? If so, that needs to be there and could possibly be the cause of the noise. Put it in and fire it up. If it makes noise like air is trapped then give it a shake. Keep giving it a small shake every few minutes until all the air is out. If you can't get all the air out let it run for a while and it will work its way out.

Yeah the plate does sit on the top! I'll do what you said after dinner (we're going out for my moms b-day so it'll be awhile) and when I set it up and such I'll tell you how things went! I can't wait ^^

No, the flow nozzles were entirely open, and I twisted them some and such to double check. I'll be home to work the filter in a bit

Everything went nicely with the canister, it turns out I had to push a pump thing and stuff! It's all quiet now because I set it up yesterday, and I've never seen my tank water so clear!!! This filter rocks ^^

Back
Top Bottom