Synodontis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfool58

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know this is for Cichlids, but a lot of people who have Africans keep these.. I would like to have this Synodontis(first picture) but idk what it is, Google says its a Zebra, but also it says its this(second picture) which my local petstore has.. Which they labeled as a Zebra.. Is the first picture just it's "mature" state? & the second picture being its "juvenile" state?

Attachments

• image-2877756222.jpg
    image-2877756222.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,411
  • image-2399318772.jpg
    image-2399318772.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,193
Well, the first is a zebra synodontis. AFAIK, the status of this one is still in the air. The geographic origin is unknown and it is suspected to actually be a hybrid. Juvies of this one are dark with white markings.

The second is a jaguar synodontis, a hybrid between S. decora and S. multipunctatus. Have two of these. Bought two decorus out of a tank with these in it as well, and when I got home (over 100 miles away) found out the clerk scooped two of these guys instead of two of the juvie decorus. 'Twas a little irritated, to say the least.

WYite

Wyomingite said:
Well, the first is a zebra synodontis. AFAIK, the status of this one is still in the air. The geographic origin is unknown and it is suspected to actually be a hybrid. Juvies of this one are dark with white markings.

The second is a jaguar synodontis, a hybrid between S. decora and S. multipunctatus. Have two of these. Bought two decorus out of a tank with these in it as well, and when I got home (over 100 miles away) found out the clerk scooped two of these guys instead of two of the juvie decorus. 'Twas a little irritated, to say the least.

WYite

Thanks so much for the response. Okay, I want a zebra. I will definitely have to search for that, I like it much better than the jaguar, unless it gets rid of its tiny spots on its head.. Ha. I also saw this under jaguar.. Which I like much better than the second picture..

As far as the clerk doing that.. I would've been really really irritated.. & sounds like something I might have been in.. I don't live close to any really decent fish stores.. So I don't see much.. Ha.

Attachments

• image-1156027492.jpg
    image-1156027492.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 765
My LFS has a decora and multipunctata in the same tank. What are odds of the two creating a hybrid?

bettaowner said:
My LFS has a decora and multipunctata in the same tank. What are odds of the two creating a hybrid?

Lol idk the numbers, but if they are old enough & opposite sex, I believe it'll happen.. Ha.

Yeah, it would be.. & WYite is it possible for you to find a picture of a juvenile zebra? I really want the zebra( & my girlfriend wants it too) lol also do they do well solo or pairs or groups? Thanks!

Lol idk the numbers, but if they are old enough & opposite sex, I believe it'll happen.. Ha.

Actually, I suspect it wouldn't, for a coupla reasons. First, it isn't simple to get most synos to reproduce in captivity. There are a few species regularly bred nowadays, but it takes a little bit of work and ideal conditions. Second, the two species have vastly different breeding strategies. S. decora is a random egg-scatterer; it scatters its eggs and abandons them during seasonal flooding events. S. multipunctatus is a brood parasite; it lays its eggs in conjunction with mouth-brooding cichlids. The cichlids then take up the syno eggs with their own. The catfish hatch earlier than the cichlids and eat the remaining eggs and any cichlid fry that may have hatched. Any cichlid fry that hatch may or may not escape the faster growing syno fry, but in the end the brood ends up being mostly a few catfish and not many, if any, cichlids. These breeding strategies would have different environmental and physiological triggers, making timing a "natural" spawning extremely difficult.

These factors suggests to me that either 1) the males and females need to be stripped of milt and eggs and artificial fertilization and hatching are needed, or 2) spawning is hormonally induced to counteract the differing breeding strategies. I honestly don't know for sure, and have had little luck finding the methodology used to create these hybrids on the interenet.

fishfool58, try Planet Catfish for a pic of juvie zebra synos. IIRC, they have added hybrids under their Synodontis listings. I believe they have hybrids listed as Synodontis sp. hybrid.

Yes, I was irritated about the jaguar syno incident. Very irritated. I didn't go back since they charged me for the decorus and they were cheaper anyway, so I didn't exactly get ripped off, and the gas and hassle woulda been more trouble than it was worth. In addition (prepare for mini-rant), I am very anti-hybrid, don't condone the intentional creation of hybrids, and won't support the creation of hybrids by purchasing such fish. My personal feeling, and I don't hold it against anybody who does, so please don't take offense. :)

WYite

Well make sense.. I was gonna add given the conditions are right they might.. But I just like the zebra.. I really want one that's not gonna get any bigger than 5-6inches.. & would this happen to be a juvie? If I can't find them, I'll just stick with an AFF syno.

Attachments

• image-289715641.jpg
    image-289715641.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 691
Well on live aquaria, that picture you said was a jaguar, they have listed as a zebra.. I'll just stick with a normal on, like Synodontis Nigrita. They are said to grow up to 4 inch in captivity, but can get up to 6-7. I want a smaller sized one.. But I don't really want synodontis nigriventris(upside down catfish)

I bought 3 Cuckoo catfish about 5 weeks ago,and I've saw one once :-( My African cichlids where bullying it,any ideas anyone ?

Dean jones said:
I bought 3 Cuckoo catfish about 5 weeks ago,and I've saw one once :-( My African cichlids where bullying it,any ideas anyone ?

What kind of Cichlids? & how big we're the catfish?

Cats where about inch & a half,my Mbuna are not full grown yet ? Hope there still alive,loads of hiding places ? Very strange indeed ;-(

Attachments

• image-3715451348.jpg
    image-3715451348.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 101
  • image-4249944088.jpg
    image-4249944088.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 115
  • image-2542493966.jpg
    image-2542493966.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 116
  • image-2846267799.jpg
    image-2846267799.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 128
  • image-771107420.jpg
    image-771107420.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 123
  • image-2691028097.jpg
    image-2691028097.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 101
Maybe they are still shy? Lots of hiding would help them.. They may still only come out at night.. What kind of Mbuna? I bet you're okay.. :)

Saulosi,Polits,Redtops,Neon sport,Afra jalo reef,Yellow labs,Golden plecs which the mbuna's try to bully,yet it doesn't bother them ;-)

Hey Dean, I received a shipment of 5 wild S. multipunctatus this morning. I left the room then came back and they were exploring the tank. I would say that they were shy for about 20 mins. Man what a sight that was. They are about 3 1/2 - 4 inches.

Dean jones said:
Saulosi,Polits,Redtops,Neon sport,Afra jalo reef,Yellow labs,Golden plecs which the mbuna's try to bully,yet it doesn't bother them ;-)

I thought saulosi were pretty agressive, (could be thinkin of the wrong Cichlid) maybe they are just shy.. & jimmy how much do ya know bout Synos? I have a 75 gallon tank with about 40 fry, 10 of each, Yellow Lab, Mainganos, Hara sp, & Rusty. I have 2 albino bn plecs, & a frontosa a buddy gave me, frontosa will be rehomed soon if I can't find a 125 gallon for him, but what are some good catfish to put with them & number.. I was aiming towards the smaller sized ones(4-6 Inches)

This is my first time with these cats. I also have a 75g tank stocked with juveniles mostly peacocks, few labs, and mbunas.

I've done some research and Multipunctatus, Petricolas, Nigriventis are some of the smaller type. And there's other popular cats that are kept with African cichlids...the Pimelodus Pictus catfish that is similar in size that can be found at a local Petsmart.

I'm sure there's more but I wanted the multi cats...but they are hard to find in LFS.

You will want at least 3 in your tank as they do very well in groups.

JimmyG said:
This is my first time with these cats. I also have a 75g tank stocked with juveniles mostly peacocks, few labs, and mbunas.

I've done some research and Multipunctatus, Petricolas, Nigriventis are some of the smaller type. And there's other popular cats that are kept with African cichlids...the Pimelodus Pictus catfish that is similar in size that can be found at a local Petsmart.

I'm sure there's more but I wanted the multi cats...but they are hard to find in LFS.

You will want at least 3 in your tank as they do very well in groups.

I heard the 4 line Pictus is a good catfish to use, but I'd rather have the synos.. I haven't seen the petricolas, but the nigriventis is the upside down cat, I don't care to much for that.. I was looking up the nigrita.. Lace catfish.. I thought the multi got fairly big? 9 inch? Or that's eruptus.. Idk's.. Lol

Seems like synos always take a beating from cichlids when they're small. My petricolas were 1.5" when I got 'em and I ended up removin' 'em to their own tank. My lemon cichlids and brichardi just would not leave 'em alone. Once they hit 3", moved 'em back and they did fine. Had the same experience with the multipunctatus and with S. njassae when I had them.

My featherfin is pushin' 8". The largest multi I've ever had was around 6", though I've read they can get 8" or 9".

Fishfool58, saluosi are generally fairly mellow as far as mbuna go. Ya might be confusin' 'em with demasoni, which are little terrors.

WYite

Back
Top Bottom