T8 or leds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MightyO

Aquarium Advice Activist
Before u answer this is the situation my tank size is 72x18x29 (150g high) the fixtures I have now is two 36s an my wattages are not right so ik now I need 60 watts pure fixture so the problem is t8 don't come in 60 watts in my 2 fixture an led can get expensive so what should I do

I'm not sure I understand the question. It looks like you are saying you have a 6' tank with 2 36" normal output flourescent fixtures. A 36" T8 bulb is 30 watts, so 2 bulbs = 60 watts.

Right I need 120 watts total for my tank

What are you keeping in this tank? Is this fixture just to see fish or are we talking photosynthetic creatures?

Then you need to consider how much light you need for them. I have no experience with planted tanks, but I'm guessing you need more light than you have for them to thrive.

I need 1wattt per gallon at the least so that's 120 watts I just need to kno which one I'm better off with t8s or LEDs

You may need 1 watt per gallon if using T8 lamps, but LEDs are much more efficient. I think your budget is also something to consider. What are you willing to spend?
You could get a 6' T5 fixture, or 3 LED pendants. Do you have a single brace across the top of the tank or two?

I got the two an I'm willing to go $300 to $400

You have a very tall tank. You'll need T5s, at the least, to grow plants. T8s won't penetrate anywhere near the bottom of the tank.

I use LED floodlights over my small planted tank and they grow anything (high light). If you want a cheap low to medium light setup you could give those a go. They're sold on eBay. For an easy low tech system I'd recommend three 20w or 30w daylight waterproof floodlights. Should cost around $100 bucks for all three and you won't have to worry about buying bulbs at all. Otherwise I'd recommend a T5 fixture.

I just brought two marine land double bright LEDs so I think that will do me some justice I did my research on them an they will Dolly's I like the LEDs thanks everyone for the help

Back
Top Bottom