Tail damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennie Kermode

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I recently acquired a young shubunkin (I'd estimate that she's about two and a half), and discovered that the upper part of her tail was broken. I understand that he had been badly bullied by a comet. A large part of her tail subsequently came away, and after the wound became infected the damage went right down to the caudal peduncle. She's now in isolation because she can't cope in the main aquarium. pH is 7, nitrates are 18, nitrites are negligible. I've added salt and melafix. The infection seems to be gone and the wound is no longer looking raw. She not very active but then she doesn't have much to do and swimming is hard work for her; she wasn't very fit to begin with. She does have her dorsal fin up all the time and she's eating well, as well as interacting when water changes are done.

What concerns me are her long term prospects. I've been keeping fish for thirty two years but have never had to deal with tail damage this severe before. Do you think there's any prospect of regrowth? Since the salt was added Ive seen what may be the beginnings of ray projections growing outward from the damaged area but I confess I'm not familiar enough with this type of situation to be sure, and obviously I'm wary of any further infection. I can probably keep her healthy in isolation but it's not much of a life for her and it's not safe for her to go back in the main aquarium like this.

Thoughts?

Could you please add some photos so that we can see the injury.

Thank you, Roz

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It will grow back, but the fish could benifit from an antibiotic. If you arm got cut off, woudnt a dr prescribe an antibiotic? Trust me it will grow back, i had a black moor get mauled by a koi and was in similar condition as yours, and he did just fine is still alive to this day and it completely grew back.

Back
Top Bottom