Taking the plunge on BioCube 14 build adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1Vampiregirl said:
Thank you, Dary! :)

Well, I'm home now. My blenny and clown greeted me swimming around and then the blenny hid inside a little hole he found in the rock.
While I was in the hospital, one of the fans broke and is making this terrible loud noise. :( I contacted Oceanic and they're sending replacements, I hope it won't take too long - I don't have daylight on right now!

My bio had a noisy gan and I got a replacement it just started getting noisy again but it is just noisy when it starts up then after a few minute it's quite.

Ratrob57 said:
My bio had a noisy gan and I got a replacement it just started getting noisy again but it is just noisy when it starts up then after a few minute it's quite.

Mine was different: it's usually a little noisy, but this was crazy, it was literally growling so I couldn't hear my TV lol! And it started off normal and only became that noisy after a few minutes. We'll see what happens when I get the new ones.

And now I've got a question. Can somebody please tell me what to do with hair algea? I have 2 spots where it grows and it's like 2" long now! No creature in the cube seems to be interested... :(

Hi , Check PO4 levels and try to bring them down, if you canont use a GFO Reactor use products like 'Chemi Pure Elite'

skidrow52 said:
Hi , Check PO4 levels and try to bring them down, if you canont use a GFO Reactor use products like 'Chemi Pure Elite'

Hi skidrow,
I did check it and it's 0. It was .25 while I was cycling, but since then it's a nice 0.

Hi VG,

Which test kit are you using for PO4? Are you running GAC? High nitrates and po4 are the usual reasons for algae and higher inorganic nutrient levels.

Hi skidrow,
I did check it and it's 0. It was .25 while I was cycling, but since then it's a nice 0.

skidrow52 said:
Hi VG,

Which test kit are you using for PO4? Are you running GAC? High nitrates and po4 are the usual reasons for algae and higher inorganic nutrient levels.

Hey,
I'm using API liquid kits for everything plus Salifert for pH, CA and Mg.
My nitrate and phosphate were high during the cycling process, but after a few PWC both went down. The algea appeared in a couple of spots then but hasn't spread, just stayed there and grew longer lol. I tore some off the rock the other day, hoping that my snails will clean up what's left.

On a side note, my blenny is so cool! He like to hover with the clown sometimes like watching her and found a hole where he sleeps. It's so funny when he swims there and backs up into his hole so that only the head is sticking out! And still changes color when scared. :)

Vampiregirl I want to chime in about your hood being open? I know someone suggested you keep it open? I have the same 14G Biocube a few years running and I have retro fitted additional bulb in the canopy and never overheat? Just wondering if the room you keep it in is constantly hot? It was designed to be kept closed the part of the appeal of it and mostly it keep evaporation down to a bare minimum. Turn down your thermometer if you can but close that hood girl! Vampires dont like that much sunlight! If your room is always hot I guess you don't have a choice. :) I love your live rock makes me want to switch mine out.... That's also the most interesting blenny I've seen in a long time.

I will suggest to use Hanna's Phosphate checker or Salifert test kits for PO4, you cannot exactly know your PO4 levels with API test kit, the colors are so confusing, in the long term if you are willing to keep corals get Hanna's PO4 Checker.

Send some pics of your blenny :)

Hey,
I'm using API liquid kits for everything plus Salifert for pH, CA and Mg.
My nitrate and phosphate were high during the cycling process, but after a few PWC both went down. The algea appeared in a couple of spots then but hasn't spread, just stayed there and grew longer lol. I tore some off the rock the other day, hoping that my snails will clean up what's left.

On a side note, my blenny is so cool! He like to hover with the clown sometimes like watching her and found a hole where he sleeps. It's so funny when he swims there and backs up into his hole so that only the head is sticking out! And still changes color when scared. :)

Guys, I need help!!!
I just looked at my blenny and there's something stuck to it like a parasite! It's kinda big about a centimeter long and has eyes. What is that and what do I do????

skidrow52 said:
Is it a pod??? ..................

Yes, I think so. I've been reading for the past hour and it seems that it's an isopod that has to be manually removed. And now the task is to get the blenny!

1Vampiregirl said:
Yes, I think so. I've been reading for the past hour and it seems that it's an isopod that has to be manually removed. And now the task is to get the blenny!

Doctor yana wanted in bio cube 14, Doctor yana wanted in bio cube 14 stat,..... I thought that's what you'd have to do but I was uncertain so I kept quiet ,....good luck doc !! Let us know how jack blenny comes thru the operation

skidrow52 said:
Well after a few hours/minutes you might see it not on fish :)

You were right! The blenny is pod free and thankfully unharmed. :)
But now the predator is somewhere in the tank! Yesterday I found an article on how to catch these things, going to set a trap - I want to get rid of that monster!

DJLiquid said:
Vampiregirl I want to chime in about your hood being open? I know someone suggested you keep it open? I have the same 14G Biocube a few years running and I have retro fitted additional bulb in the canopy and never overheat? Just wondering if the room you keep it in is constantly hot? It was designed to be kept closed the part of the appeal of it and mostly it keep evaporation down to a bare minimum. Turn down your thermometer if you can but close that hood girl! Vampires dont like that much sunlight! If your room is always hot I guess you don't have a choice. :) I love your live rock makes me want to switch mine out.... That's also the most interesting blenny I've seen in a long time.

Yep, the room is hot unfortunately. I have the AC running non-stop and the rest of the apartment is chilly, but my bedroom is always hot! I don't even run heaters in my tanks! So no matter how much I like the looks of the properly closed cube, I have to keep it open and top off with ro every day.

I love the blenny! It's hilarious when he puts on his "warpaint" whenever feels suspicious of me! Tons of personality in such a small fish. :D

Did you catch the isopod??? I did some reading on the awhile ago when I thought I had a bad one, it seems the easiest way is to catch it is while it's on the fish. Mine came out during feeding once and then hid in a shell which I scooped out, lucky me :)

0o.Kelsey.o0 said:
Did you catch the isopod??? I did some reading on the awhile ago when I thought I had a bad one, it seems the easiest way is to catch it is while it's on the fish. Mine came out during feeding once and then hid in a shell which I scooped out, lucky me :)

Lucky you!
No, I didn't catch it. I couldn't catch the blenny while it was on her. Unbelievable!!! I tried to pull out the rock where the blenny hid, but as soon as she got me figured out, she just took off and wouldn't even approach the rock. And then the thing wasn't there anymore. I keep looking all the time but can't spot it. :(

Oh, and here's a couple of new pics. Unfortunately, no new corals :(

Attachments

• image-1771923951.jpg
    image-1771923951.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 130
  • image-1261861033.jpg
    image-1261861033.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 118
  • image-2819970209.jpg
    image-2819970209.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 134
  • image-2737611965.jpg
    image-2737611965.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 125
carey said:
tank is looking great!!! Love the shrooms!!

Thanks! They were greener when I got them, I think they're not very happy with my stock lighting. But at least most of the time they are open and pleased. :)

Back
Top Bottom