Taking the plunge on BioCube 14 build adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tlkng1 said:
Found the e-mail from reefcleaners :)

10 Dwarf Ceriths
3 Nassarius
4 Florida Ceriths
3 Blue Legs
3 Small to Medium Nerites

I know Ihad a good number more than 10 dwarf ceriths in the bag when I got them. I am guessing that due to size they don't exactly adhere to the count :) I still have a few in the tank that look about the size of a grain of rice....the smaller ones like to hitch rides on the shell of the scarlet legged hermit I added to the order.

Okay, thanks, this is very helpful. :) So the dwarf ceriths are really really tiny? I had 6 of them in mind. I also want Astraea snails but I don't think reefcleaners have them. :(
I plan to check out my LFS today. If I can find what I want locally I'd rather do that not to pay for the shipping.

Speaking of hermits, my hitchhiker finally stepped down from his residence on the top rock and is now munching on some algea. Finally he's doing his job!

1Vampiregirl said:
Okay, thanks, this is very helpful. :) So the dwarf ceriths are really really tiny? I had 6 of them in mind. I also want Astraea snails but I don't think reefcleaners have them. :(
I plan to check out my LFS today. If I can find what I want locally I'd rather do that not to pay for the shipping.

Speaking of hermits, my hitchhiker finally stepped down from his residence on the top rock and is now munching on some algea. Finally he's doing his job!

Glad to hear that you let that crab knows who's boss,...nothing worse than a freeloading crab :- )... You get 'em girl!

Dary421 said:
Glad to hear that you let that crab knows who's boss,...nothing worse than a freeloading crab :- )... You get 'em girl!

Lol
Yes, probably he got the message when I pulled him out the other day for questioning under the suspicion of death. :D

I've made a trip to LFS, two of them actually, and the result is 3 astraea snails. I also placed an order on reefcleaners, getting 10 dwarf ceriths, 3 nassarius and 2 Florida ceriths. :)
The snails seem to be very excited about all that mess that waited for them!

On a side note, I found another hitchhiker, it's a tiny star. I tried to take a pic of it, but... You can see... :p

Attachments

• image-2263528266.jpg
    image-2263528266.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 136
  • image-2777086892.jpg
    image-2777086892.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 134
  • image-891556847.jpg
    image-891556847.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 146
  • image-1664194924.jpg
    image-1664194924.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 153
1Vampiregirl said:
I've made a trip to LFS, two of them actually, and the result is 3 astraea snails. I also placed an order on reefcleaners, getting 10 dwarf ceriths, 3 nassarius and 2 Florida ceriths. :)
The snails seem to be very excited about all that mess that waited for them!

On a side note, I found another hitchhiker, it's a tiny star. I tried to take a pic of it, but... You can see... :p[/
I also found one of these little asterina stars in my refugium ,..every morning it would climb up to the waterline,...I saw him every day for a week or so ,then poof he was gone,..I'm sure he's still in there somewhere ,..I guess he must of found something better to do with his time,....how's your crab dealing with his new neighbors " the snails" ? :)

Last edited:
Hey there, Dary!
My star prefers romantic walks in the moonlight! :p See him/her every night.

The crab is actually much more active now that there are snail in the tank. It's the first time since I started the cube that I saw him move around the sand, all over the rocks, it's like he got jealous or something. Ha-ha! He even examined and moved around the shell that I threw in the tank a couple of weeks ago, it was funny.

Well., I had to go back into the archives but I did manage to find a picture of the beast that still may lurk in my refugium... Quite a handsome fella I'd say :)

Dary421 said:
Yours may have seven legs but did you see the way mine could climb!!!

Well I guess... Considering the fact that yours has only 6 legs, he's the winner in the climbing competition. :)

Keep an eye on the Astreas....they can't right themselves if they fall on their "backs." You have to give them a helping hand and turn them back over.

You get stars..I get urchins. :)...I am up to three and they must like the water parameters because they are growing like proverbial weeds.

Hermits are funny aren't they? Mine was overly excited the other night when he/she happened to be in the forefront of the tank when I fed the other night. It was funny watching it trying to move from the top of the rock all the way to the floor of the tank without taking the easy way out and just dropping off an edge. He picked his way down oh so carefully but made a beeline real quick to the pellets that had settled on the floor :)

Tlkng, thanks, I know about the astraeas, read on LA.

I had a 30-something gal tank about 4 years ago and got a hitchhiker urchin too. It was cool. I noticed it first as a tiny spot with needles in the live rock, then it grew and started moving around a bit, but always in live rock.

Yes, the crabs can be funny sometimes. Mine now seems to be trying to prove that he is better than my snails! :D

1Vampiregirl said:
Well I guess... Considering the fact that yours has only 6 legs, he's the winner in the climbing competition. :)

VGee,...you shouldn't belittle my starfish just because he was handicapped at birth and only had six legs,..., even in a fair race your starfish would always have a leg up on mine,.... :-/

Dary421 said:
VGee,...you shouldn't belittle my starfish just because he was handicapped at birth and only had six legs,..., even in a fair race your starfish would always have a leg up on mine,.... :-/

Lmao
Okay, Dary, I agree it wasn't very nice of me. Can our starfish still be friends? So far, I'm afraid, he's looking for trouble messing with somebody not quite his size... Or maybe I got it all wrong and they're just best buddies now?

Attachments

• image-1452075337.jpg
    image-1452075337.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 104
1Vampiregirl said:
Lmao
Okay, Dary, I agree it wasn't very nice of me. Can our starfish still be friends? So far, I'm afraid, he's looking for trouble messing with somebody not quite his size... Or maybe I got it all wrong and they're just best buddies now?

Smart money would be on the snail,..but, I'm going with the star fish just because he looks like marshal Dillion

Actually, the snail decided to leave that corner for the starfish who got there first. So noone's fighting!

I've got a question. Can I get a fish now? :)

Are you planning on having any corals? If so be cautious with the Asterina stars. Some tend to be good and others can be little terrorist. I have seen photos of these stars actually wiping out small colonies of zoas and palys.

Grabloids said:
Are you planning on having any corals? If so be cautious with the Asterina stars. Some tend to be good and others can be little terrorist. I have seen photos of these stars actually wiping out small colonies of zoas and palys.

Oh boy! Yes, I'm planning on having corals. Thank you for the warning. I'll keep an eye on this star.

Back
Top Bottom