Taking the plunge on BioCube 14 build adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's looking real good. I love the dark blue lighting, wish I could have that much blue. lol

I think if you clean out the shells rally really well they can go in.

Not sure what the white is, when I first cycled with ammonia all the bright purple corralline that was on my rocks turned white. Then again i overdosed to over 8ppm so that might have done it to my tank. lol

Beautiful, wash the shell with clean water preferably RO/DI and you can throw it in the tank.

It doesnt look cyano to me, looks like some kind of sponge. Lets see other comments.

Looks beautiful in blue lights, can you upload a picture of the lighting.

Thanks, Carey.
The dark blue is blue led lights. You have those in your cube, don't you? And you could also get moonlights for your 125. They are my favorite light I think!

Just saw what I think is a bristleworm hiding inside a little hole in one of the rocks. Ewww!!!

skidrow52 said:
Beautiful, wash the shell with clean water preferably RO/DI and you can throw it in the tank.

It doesnt look cyano to me, looks like some kind of sponge. Lets see other comments.

Looks beautiful in blue lights, can you upload a picture of the lighting.

I thought cyano was something red and slimy and algea-looking? I think I had it in my tank 5 years ago but then I didn't know what it was.

The lighting is just stock biocube lighting. Like I said earlier the blue is led moonlights. :)

Today's cycle update. :)
I think with the live rock it will complete really fast!

Attachments

• image-1662998570.jpg
    image-1662998570.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 135
Oh yes, me too!
My FW took more than a month to cycle and didn't have any nitrites for the initial 3-4 weeks!
This is so much faster!
How long should I keep the shrimp? It's gross.

I'd remove the shrimp as soon as you can...that is why I said yes on the media bag..been there done that :) Actually, since you have ammonia, I'd remove it now. Swap over to regular fish food to keep the ammonia going.

tlkng1 said:
I'd remove the shrimp as soon as you can...that is why I said yes on the media bag..been there done that :) Actually, since you have ammonia, I'd remove it now. Swap over to regular fish food to keep the ammonia going.

I think I'll keep the shrimp for at least another couple of days. I test every day for everything - lol - if I see ammonia getting too high, I'll remove it. I don't want rush it and remove my ammonia source too soon. :)

Today's testing: :)
pH 7.8 (btw, I ordered a Salifert pH kit)
ammo 1.0
'trite 1.0
'trate 10-20

Should I do a water change? I don't like nitrate climbing up so much.

Cycle is moving along.
Ammo dropped to .25-.5, 'trites are at around 2 I guess, the color is bright purple, but doesn't seem as quite as dark, and 'trates are 40 now.
Pods are still crawling all over the tank and even swimming. And yesterday I managed to evict another worm.
Oh and one more thing! I have something growing on one of the rocks and it looks like teeny tiny feather dusters! :)

Thats awesome! I love the baby feather dusters, I had them ALL over my sandbed near the LR in my 55g. i still have one rock that is mostly them. :)

Cycling saltwater is so much easier in my opinion, you're well on your way.

I love feather dusters too, I'm sure I'll have at least one in the cube. I still have to decide if it's gonna be the hawaiian feather duster or the coco worm. I had both and I liked them so much!

Carey, I always think of your scooter now when I look at my cube and see all those pods I've got and nobody there to eat them! lol

Maybe you can try a scooter or a mandarin one day if you keep that pod population going. ;-)

i added a fuge and chaeto abotu 2 weeks ago so hopefully I see more in my cube. I have a whole colony living in my mag float's bristles. It's so weird to watch them. LOL

I'd love to, but I think a 14gal cube is too small for either of them. I'll have to make do with a rare goby and a cute blenny! Flaming prawn goby is still on my mind.

Oh, I'm sorry I forgot you went with the 14g. :-( Youre next build then. LOL

Yeah, a cool goby and a blenny sounds great!

So many to choose from though, I can never decide

Yeah, my next build will be a 150gal. And I already planned some of the fish I'll put in there! :)

Now to wait. thats the hardest part. LOL But it's so much fun to plan it, I'm still in planning mode. I had a good build idea but it will be secret until I try it. ;-)

carey said:
Now to wait. thats the hardest part. LOL But it's so much fun to plan it, I'm still in planning mode. I had a good build idea but it will be secret until I try it. ;-)

Ha-ha! I knew the 125 couldn't be your last build, not even the pico! You have a very acute case of MTS! :D

I've just realized how much excitement actually lies in the planning and building. I just did my second tank and all I can think about is a third!

Back
Top Bottom