Taking the plunge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blag It

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 30l biorb which I want to convert to marine.
I enjoy tropical, but wish to get a bigger tank.
I've been reading for days about advise on marine conversions, especially for biorbs.
I understand what needs to be done, why it needs to be done, and how many fish/creatures I can comfortably house in my little aquarium.
I realise it's not going to be the best set-up for marine, and I can't contain live coral, but I still wish to pursue it as a starting point.
I will keep this thread updated with pictures as to what I'm doing when I'm doing it.
If anyone could kindly offer advise along the way, or at specific stages, that would be great! :)
Hoping to convert this weekend, and have the fish-less cycle going for a few weeks if not a month before adding any creatures, no mistakes this time!
Wish me luck :D

Set up the tank yesterday after thoroughly rinsing everything!
Filled the water to the fill line on the guide provided in the biorb marine conversion kit. Although I have read that the biorb marine kit is a waste of money, the only thing I haven't used from it are the 4 pieces of replica live rock. I haven't used these because I want to get real live rock next week.
I have mixed the two bags of salt in the water until dissolved, used both the stress coat and stress zyme samples, and put the heater and thermometer in.
I have waited for.. Roughly 16 hours for the temperature to settle to 24 degrees c (75 degrees f), but it is currently on 24.5 (76) and doesn't seem to be budging.
Tested the salinity anyway, which is currently at 1.022 which is the minimum.
I have placed the plant decos and some pebbles in, but I will be checking the temp and the salinity constantly until the temp is 24 (75). If the salinity is still the same at the optimum temp, then I will need to add a little more salt to increase it to 1.024.
The water level has increased since adding the decos, but I'm not going to take any out until all the decos (the live rock etc) have been put in, so I can do the overall level then.
Now begins the waiting game!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 106
Day 3
Having issues with stabilising the water temp. It started off a bit warm from tap, so I let it drop to 22c (72f). I then turned the heater on to 24c (75f) and left it. After a few hours it went up to 25c (77f), I didn't know why so I thought it best to leave it to stabilise over night. Having come back to it in the morning, it is at 25.5c (78f). I've just turned my heater off, going to let it drop to 24c and then turn it on (as its set to 24c) and see if it stays stable. Haven't got high hopes though..
Room temp is currently 24c, so don't see that being an issue, but have turned all heaters off in the room to let it drop as it may be causing the overheating..?
Also got a very thin layer of speckled salt on the bottom of the tank. Have read this should eventually dissolve if the water has flow, so hoping for the best with that one too..

Hi! Looking great so far :)
Does your heater have a thermostat? If yes, I'd leave it on, just turn it down a notch. The temp should stabilise eventually, and even though it's not just yet I don't think it's an issue without any fishes in the tank.

That's great thanks :) I'm letting it drop, then will put the heater back on and leave it for a few days this time to stabilise. It has a thermostat, so leaving it on 24c. Playing the waiting game!

Day 4
Took a few cups of water out yesterday so that the level was correct. This was just precautionary, as I had read that a high water level can lead to heat exchange from the light to the water causing overheating.
This morning, whether or not it's due to the water line, it seems to have settled on 24c!
Good times. Now I just have to wait to see if it stays at 24c. If not, I suspect my heater may be at fault, as I have heard of biorb heaters overheating the water when they go wrong!
Will be checking the salinity later on today if it's still at 24c.

Update. Salinity has annoyingly decreased to 1.020. How?.. I have no idea. I have removed water, dissolved more salt in the removed water, and put it back into the tank. I have done this twice. The salinity remains the same..
Will be buying a refractometer tomorrow to get a more accurate reading than the hydrometer..
Water temp seems stable at just over 24c.

Why don't u just let everything sit and let the heater do its thing. If I set mine to 76 the tank is at 78 there isn't any reason to pull out the water either. Nothing is in it so just put more salt into the tank. It will stabalize. Just wait. And as far as water level at a certain level I'm not familiar with a bio orb but I bet the level is only like an inch difference from where u took the few cups out. Just let it evaperate and if u want ur salinity at a certain level let water evaporate till it hits that number than add water at that same salinity to fill it up to the line where it should be

Hi I'd like to congrats on taking the plunge, but I think you should of started the cycle with live rock in it. When you do add live rock to a new salt water tank you can get some die off on the rock which can put you through a mini cycle. When you buy your rock make sure it's fully cured.

Richy35 said:
Hi I'd like to congrats on taking the plunge, but I think you should of started the cycle with live rock in it. When you do add live rock to a new salt water tank you can get some die off on the rock which can prolong the cycle. So it's best to add it asap. When you buy your rock make sure it's fully cured.

Congratulations again.

I'm doing this on my phone and I tried to edit my message, and when I did it quoted myself. I tried to edit the mini cycle bit to prolonging the cycle adding live rock after starting a new tank.

I am letting it settle, not touched it since last post.
I will be adding live rock, but was told semi cured might be better?
Oh right lol ok well unfortunately I can't afford any rock until Thursday so it will have to wait..
Not sure on the correct salinity as hydrometers can be misleading, so won't know for sure until I get a refractometer.
Thanks.

Blag It said:
I am letting it settle, not touched it since last post.
I will be adding live rock, but was told semi cured might be better?
Oh right lol ok well unfortunately I can't afford any rock until Thursday so it will have to wait..
Not sure on the correct salinity as hydrometers can be misleading, so won't know for sure until I get a refractometer.
Thanks.

Hi you should be ok with semi cured rock during your fishless cycle. But don't add anything until its cured. A mate of mine who runs his marine business told & showed me how to check if it's fully cured. Just take a piece of live rock and smell it, if it's smells a bit funky it's not fully cured. To me it smells a bit eggy.

Ok that's a good tip, thanks :)
Getting some tomorrow.. I'm not fussed about how long the cycle takes, as long as its perfect before I put any creatures in!
Thanks again!

No probs, one main thing in doing marine is patients. Please keep posting with updates, it'll be nice to see how your getting along.

Put the rock in today :)
Adjusted the water level and checked the specific gravity using a needle hydrometer. I went for the needle instead of a refractometer simply because of a huge difference in cost. The needle is close enough. Specific gravity is at 1.023 so all good.
The cycle needs a boost of ammonia, so going to get some tomorrow and add a little bit in to get it going.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 69
Used some aquarium start today in order to get the cycle started/going.
Was also given the option of purchasing a cheap hardy fish, such as a black Molly, and placing it in the tank to get the cycle going.
However I chose not to because I would only end up taking it back when the cycle had settled because I don't want one as an aquarium inhabitant.
Specific gravity is at 1.023, and water temperature I have increased to 25c (77f) so hoping it will settle in the next few days.

Blag It said:
Used some aquarium start today in order to get the cycle started/going.
Was also given the option of purchasing a cheap hardy fish, such as a black Molly, and placing it in the tank to get the cycle going.
However I chose not to because I would only end up taking it back when the cycle had settled because I don't want one as an aquarium inhabitant.
Specific gravity is at 1.023, and water temperature I have increased to 25c (77f) so hoping it will settle in the next few days.

Hi I would use a fish to help with the cycle either. Your salt is ok you want it between 1.023 & 1.026. I have my water set a 25c & all is fine in my tank. You will need to have a power head in there soon so you have good flow in you tank especially on your rock. I know this might be tricky with a biorb, the only power head that might work for you is a small hydor. They use magnets to keep it in place. I'm not sure if it will work though.

Back
Top Bottom