Tang for a 66 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks guys! I did hear that the chiller was needed, but i was told that because i live in Southern California, the temp wont fluctuate very much and the built in fans will do the job! I like the fact that it is very Clean looking, and it is compact and easy to use for my parents when i go to college. I am not very big on modifications anyways so i dont think i will want to on the 66 gallon tank. We got a deal (brand new white one for 1200 when it is usually around 1700) should i go for it?

Thanks guys! I did hear that the chiller was needed, but i was told that because i live in Southern California, the temp wont fluctuate very much and the built in fans will do the job! I like the fact that it is very Clean looking, and it is compact and easy to use for my parents when i go to college. I am not very big on modifications anyways so i dont think i will want to on the 66 gallon tank. We got a deal (brand new white one for 1200 when it is usually around 1700) should i go for it?

Wow that is a tough ? to answer. Really you are the only one that can answer that. It seems your heart is set on it and if so that is a good price.

Lol okay rick, if you had 1200 to spend on a tank would you go with this one, or construct your own? :) haha i really appreciate your advice, this is a hard decision for a kid to make.

$1200? I hope this isn't the price for a used tank.

Honest question, not snarking at all.... do your parents know that you expect them to care for your reef tank when you go to college? When I went away to college I came home just a few times a year. Is it really fair to expect them to take on a tank that is your responsibility?

severum mama said:
$1200? I hope this isn't the price for a used tank.

Honest question, not snarking at all.... do your parents know that you expect them to care for your reef tank when you go to college? When I went away to college I came home just a few times a year. Is it really fair to expect them to take on a tank that is your responsibility?

Nope it is brand new! And yes i know, i have told them about it. They said that if i got this tank (because it is so simple) they would be able to maintain is, and they know how much work it is. Maybe they would hire someone to maintian it for them because they really do like saltwater tanks and its not just my brother and i.

Have you shopped at all on CL? Your limited on that tank. There are a lot of tanks out there with complete systems in your price range and more towards 90 to 150 gals. I've bought and sold over 10 tanks on CL. That's how I've worked may way up to a 450 gal.

Ya i know what you guys mean, its just this. My parents dont like my tank because it looks "messy" and what they mean by that is the light is open, the filters are on the back, there are wires everywhere, etc etc. this tank is very compact, easy, and a dream to use. When i go to collage in 2 years i want something that my parents will be able to handle, and a 90 gal with a sump is not something they would keep. They would sell that ish on craigslist the day i left the house. With this tank it will e easy to maintain, and my parents will know how to maintain it as well. Thats just my side :) haha

So i wouldnt be able to keep a bicolor angel and small kole tang in the same tank? I would suppliment their food and feed algea and seaweed if i needed to! Haha

$1200 is bit expensive. Search CL like the others said and a deal is bound to come along. Look for established systems and get a canopy so it looks sleek.

Ibrahim said:
$1200 is bit expensive. Search CL like the others said and a deal is bound to come along. Look for established systems and get a canopy so it looks sleek.

Yea i have been searching for a while, but this has everything and i am kinda dont buying used stuff. It always breaks on me and it gets annoying

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Yea i have been searching for a while, but this has everything and i am kinda dont buying used stuff. It always breaks on me and it gets annoying

You could get everything new and still get it cheaper than that. Trust me with rock, sand, and other stuff you'll come to about $1500 then still need to buy fish and coral.

Ibrahim said:
You could get everything new and still get it cheaper than that. Trust me with rock, sand, and other stuff you'll come to about $1500 then still need to buy fish and coral.

Its not just the cost. Its the look. The parents love the tank because it literally looks like nice furniture. It is so compact, easy to use, and good looking that you cant pass it up

If your parents love it that much, and you guys love it that much, and you can teach your parents how to care for it when you guys aren't living at home, then go for it. Maybe it is the right tank for you, and it's neat that your whole family is going to be involved with it. You could save quite a bit of money by upgrading the tank you have now, since you've bought live rock and some fish and coral already. Then maybe sell off your 30 gal setup and use the money toward more fish and coral.

I really would not recommend putting a tang of any kind in a 3 foot tank. Maybe that makes me the tang police, but I've talked to plenty of customers that tried it and had problems during my lfs employee days. A stressed fish is an unhealthy fish.

As for the bicolor angel, it would not be a good choice for a reef IMO. Even if it doesn't start nipping at your coral at first, it probably will. I'm speaking from experience when I tell you it is not fun to tear down your tank to get an angelfish out after it starts eating your coral (and I promise it will be a tank teardown to get it out). In addition to the angelfish not being reef safe, it can also be difficult to feed IME.

Okay thank you for the advice! Well the tank is a done deal. We are bringing it home as we speak and plan on selling off a complete 40 gallon and 30 gallon to pay for it. Along with my brothers and my 16th b day this month and some extra work we will be able to pay the parents back very soon. It will be nice to own only one big, nice tank!

As for the tang i completly agree i am not going to argue. It upsets me when tangs are put in small tanks, and besides i do not have a QT so the tang would get ich and reek havoc on the tank :(

The dawrf angel is a harder decision because i really really like them. Would a flame be less likely to nip? Are there any fish that have the body shape of angel fish and tangs that i could put in the 66 g? I only ever researched nano fish for the 30 so i am not an expert on bigger fish.. Thanks!

severum mama said:
If your parents love it that much, and you guys love it that much, and you can teach your parents how to care for it when you guys aren't living at home, then go for it. Maybe it is the right tank for you, and it's neat that your whole family is going to be involved with it. You could save quite a bit of money by upgrading the tank you have now, since you've bought live rock and some fish and coral already. Then maybe sell off your 30 gal setup and use the money toward more fish and coral.

I really would not recommend putting a tang of any kind in a 3 foot tank. Maybe that makes me the tang police, but I've talked to plenty of customers that tried it and had problems during my lfs employee days. A stressed fish is an unhealthy fish.

As for the bicolor angel, it would not be a good choice for a reef IMO. Even if it doesn't start nipping at your coral at first, it probably will. I'm speaking from experience when I tell you it is not fun to tear down your tank to get an angelfish out after it starts eating your coral (and I promise it will be a tank teardown to get it out). In addition to the angelfish not being reef safe, it can also be difficult to feed IME.

Yeah, we will be putting all the money from selling off our other 2 tanks twoards it. Just bought it actually! Its in the truck-bed!

The tang most lilely wont happen. I think as a little guy it'd be fine, but as it grows he would get pretty ticked right? Any other larger fish suggestions?

And i assume your input goes for all other pygmy angels? We were wanting to get one, not necessarily a bicolor. I have a thread on a different forum with people and their experiences posting. Probably 70% had an angel that was a model citizen, and 30% of those people had that angel for a long time too. The other 30% had trouble. Pretty good odds..but it is worth risking? Maybe not.

It took mine (Centropyge vroliki, half black angel) several months before it became interested in coral. Once it developed a taste for coral, it was extremely destructive to several of my corals, to the point where it definitely would have killed them if it hadn't been removed from the tank. I am sure it was the angel doing the damage because I witnessed it nipping corals several times. Dwarf angels in a reef are not something I would try again, but that is JMO.

*edit* I recommend looking into fairy wrasses. They are some of the most beautiful and intriguing fish available in the hobby IMO, and totally reef safe. Many species are very colorful. I am unclear on whether you can keep multiple species together as I have never tried it. They are jumpers, but with that cover on your tank it won't be an issue.

Last edited:
Okay severum we will look into them! Whenever i see them at stores they alwys look so sad and depressed.., i dont know. I like tangs and angels because they look so lively! I know the only 3 reef safe angels get too big for our tank so that kinda sucks... I wanted one bigger fish to act as the centerpiece, not just a ton of nano fish. Hopefully we find something! :)

Some of the fairy wrasses are not nano fish. I've seen Scott's fairy wrasse and some others that were easily 5" and had a fair bit of heft to them. A happy fairy wrasse is very colorful and active, and will cruise in and out of the rock work similar to dwarf angels.

I have 3 wrasses now and they are very very active. I had a fairy wrasse but she jumped a few months back, even with a cover she got out. But if you have a covered top it's a great excuse to get a wrasse or two.

There are peaceful ones and semi aggressive ones so just do some research and I'm sure you'll find one that's perfect for your tank. :)

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom