Tang for a 66 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nu-Nu the eel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are their any tangs besides the kole tang that dont need a 6 foot tank??? I woul never put a tang in a tank that is too small, so i wont put one in the 66 gal unless it would be happy. Thanks!

Well the Bristletooth tangs all list a 70 gal as minimum. Even at that I think many will say that is pushing it depending on rockwork and swim room designed into the tank. I have decided for myself to keep one Bristletooth tang in my 72 bowfront and not 2 tangs for sure.

Okay thank you! We plan on having a pretty wide open rock scape, lots of swimming room! Maybe 1 tang... A kole?

Okay thank you! We plan on having a pretty wide open rock scape, lots of swimming room! Maybe 1 tang... A kole?

If you do that I would suggest not getting another grazer for sure. I have been reading alot this weekend on tangs and any other grazer like a dwarf angel will be competing for the niche. You will need to supplement from what I have read with sea weed, algae sheets or other herbivore quality food. I have read that spinach, and romain lettuce if steamed or frozen are ok on the veggie clip also but I have elected to go with marine based algae sheets on the clip. It is a more natural food souce for the tangs so I just feel it must be better. Just MHO.

A Kole or something similar is all I would consider for that. Pushing it a bit, but as long as the tank isn't overstocked, the tang is well fed, and seems happy and healthy, could work. Other than the coveted "I have a tang!" status, any particular reason you want one? If for algae control, consider a rabbitfish. Fun, amusing, interesting, and some will even eat valonia!

Thanks for the input! And guys i am not set on a tang at all, lol. I would love to own one, but if he wont fit in the tank he wont fit, i am ok with that. I dont wanna put a fish in a tank that is too small :) i cant get a 75 because this tank has everything! Its amazing, a great setup! I would suppliment his foot with some algea and seaweed ;) i would like one because i feel like they really bring a reef tank to life! They are very active and thats what i like about them :)

The Ctenochaetus sp. tangs are all bristletooth varieties. Take a look at liveaqaria.com under tangs and look for this and bristletooth labels. These are all the smaller tangs I am aware of. The other benefit of this variety of tang is they seem to be more hardy and less prone to ich.

ShooterRick said:
The Ctenochaetus sp. tangs are all bristletooth varieties. Take a look at liveaqaria.com under tangs and look for this and bristletooth labels. These are all the smaller tangs I am aware of.

Yup i do like bristlenose tangs! Only need 70 gallons so that is up my ally :)

The fact that the dimensions of the tank are not listed on that page is irritating. ;)

The fact that the lighting is listed at 6x39W T5 HO gives me a context clue.

These are 3 foot bulbs. Based on the photo of the tank's hood with the bulbs installed, I think it's fairly safe to say this is a 3 foot tank. A 3 foot tank is not suitable for a tang IMO.

That is true. It might be a little bit bigger then 3 feet wide though, i will figure out the length and get back to you on that :) haha if its not 4 feet or close then i dont know how i would feel putting a tang in there.

The fact that the dimensions of the tank are not listed on that page is irritating. ;)

The fact that the lighting is listed at 6x39W T5 HO gives me a context clue.

These are 3 foot bulbs. Based on the photo of the tank's hood with the bulbs installed, I think it's fairly safe to say this is a 3 foot tank. A 3 foot tank is not suitable for a tang IMO.

I looked at the link and the first fine print line in the specs I believe said it was 38 inches wide. That said it is small for a tang and I would suggest if you must have one of the smaller varieties of tangs you are going to have to resist the temptation to have more than a few small fish with it. No other grazers for sure. As I said my 72 bowfront is 4 ft wide and I consider it pushing with one small tang of the bristletooth variety. I have 80 lbs of rock in the tank and it is high quality very porous light rock and the reef is built on pillars and arches above the sand with a very small footprint. There is about 4 inches behind the reef and more of course in front of it and even then I feel it is still a stretch for the tang.

Alright thanks! Well i dont plan on having any other grazers, and my tank will not be overstocked, i assure you :) i will leave room on the front and back in case i do wan a tang later on. That will be when my tank is very established, peobably the last fish i will add, if i do want one. Thanks guys! I will only even CONSIDER bristletooth tangs :)

Alright thanks! Well i dont plan on having any other grazers, and my tank will not be overstocked, i assure you :) i will leave room on the front and back in case i do wan a tang later on. That will be when my tank is very established, peobably the last fish i will add, if i do want one. Thanks guys! I will only even CONSIDER bristletooth tangs :)
:D Sound like a plan.

ShooterRick said:
:D Sound like a plan.

On a side note, do you think this is a good tank? High quality? I have never seen one before and i am wondering if it would be a good upgrade for my fish :) thanks for all your help people!

On a side note, do you think this is a good tank? High quality? I have never seen one before and i am wondering if it would be a good upgrade for my fish :) thanks for all your help people!

First I have no experience with the Red Sea tanks but did consider them. I talked with a few people who have them though and this was their thoughts.

Pros: Attractive and well built, all in one systems, Support was good

Cons: All in one system leaves little room for mods, tend to run on the hot side temp wise and needed a chiller-One guy proped the lid open and used a fan which created more top offs. Expensive.

Again this is not hands on info but I choose to buy a used system that I could build and modifiy to my wants. I picked up a 72 bow front Oceanic tank, stand and lots of equipment for under 100.00 of craigs list and put my money into good rock and upgrades.

38" tank= essentially a 3' tank= not recommended for a tang of any kind IMO.

I worked at a shop that sold earlier models of these. We had one or two come back for electrical issues ("power center" failed and components that were plugged in didn't function properly- certainly disappointing for the high price of the unit). The good news is, customer service was responsive and replaced defective parts. I will say this was several years ago before this particular model was produced, so hopefully quality has improved.

Back
Top Bottom