Tank bowing! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCieParagon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

This is a 10 gallon tank that I divided about 3/5 of the way with an acrylic sheet. So there is about 6 gallons of water in the one side. The other side I don't want water yet.

Is this bowing too much? It's 1/8 inch acrylic on a 10 gallon tank holding 6 gallons of water.

TosgnBK.jpg

TosgnBK

It's working on your silicone. I would say it will eventually leak if the acrylic don't give up.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Acrylic will do that, you need to brace it in order to prevent that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would fill both sides and see what happens. Bowing is always bad.

Acrylic and silicone don't work to well when there's pressure eventually the acrylic will separate from the silicone

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I ended up taking apart the tank. I drained all the water and took out the sand. After taking all the silicone off, my tank look pretty badly messed up, so I bought a new one for $10.49. After driving for many miles today, I got a piece of glass that was 10"x11"x1/4". Well the problem is that the thickness of the tank is about 9.9". So I now have to find a place to shave about .1" of 1/4" thickness glass. The person at Home Depot near me works at a glass factory and said he would charge me $10 + tax to shave it. This is turning into a very expensive project.

Two tanks: $21.93
Two silicone vials: $18.17
Acrylic: ~$15.00
Glass: $14.13
Shaving: $10.70
Hood: $13.90
Gas: ~$15
Razor blades: $5.34
Alcohol: $2.13
Total: $116.30

Just for the tank to be completed. This is a 10 gallon tank divided "in half". Yikes.

Why do you want to divide it?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I want to divide it because I want to make one part semi aquatic and one part fully aquatic. I want to have different plant species on each side.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So are you just trying to raise one side? Why not use some large flat rocks down the middle and fill the rest with some gravel.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom