Tank build - newbie again... need thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes - it was cured... pulled right out of an established reef tank... have several star polyps, mushrooms..... lots of coraline algae and tube worms. Hoping my cycle is a small one and that everything makes it through unharmed.

Hmm, well pH is supposed to bounce around whenever cycling, so you don't really have to test is until the cycle is over. Not sure why all the cycling parameters (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate) are 0 though, unless your cycle was just that fast lol, which may be possible but idk.

Hmm, well pH is supposed to bounce around whenever cycling, so you don't really have to test is until the cycle is over. Not sure why all the cycling parameters (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate) are 0 though, unless your cycle was just that fast lol, which may be possible but idk.

Good point - I guess I could quit testing the pH for now - it is just part of my testing kit so I just did it.

I was just surprised to see my ammonia start at .5 and then go down to 0 on the second day. Maybe I need to put in some ammonia and see if it starts a cycle? Its only been 2 days I figure I will keep watching it for now.

Per some advice I put in about a half teaspoon of fish food last night. Will see if my ammonia spikes tonight when I run the tests.

Good idea. It should be entirely processed by tonight if it is ready to go. Should see a small increase in nitrates. You might need more then a half teaspoon depending.

Thanks Jimbo,

Still running with lights off except to look at things on occasion. Think thats a good idea?

Also, I noticed this morning that my skimmer is beginning to break in I think. Its been kept opened up all the way yet foam was constantly overflowing into the collection cup (all clear liquid for the most part) - however this morning the amount of water overflowing is greatly diminished and I noticed that the foam now has a light brown tinge to it. Perhaps the fish food has broke down and this is a result of that.. not sure. By tonight I think I might be able to put the plug back into the skimmer and stop everything from just draining back out.

I would continue to keep them off just in case. Once you are sure that it's cycled, you can start running them at your normal photoperiod. Sounds like your skimmer is on its way.

Day 3

I noticed this morning that my skimmer was acting more normal and tonight it seems to be performing as expected. It is actually pulling out some skimmate so I put the plug back into the collection cup rather than let it flow back out into the sump.

So yesterday I added a fair amount of fish food - approximately 1/2 teaspoon. I expected that it would affect my ammonia or nitrates.... nope.

SG = about 1.025 +/- (using hydrometer)
Temp = 78
Ammonia = 0
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0

So any theories as to why my Ammonia and Nitrates are not going up? I even ran the test twice just to make sure it was accurate. Im confused why Im getting zeros still.... Wondering if I should add a shrimp or another source of ammonia and see what happens?

I decided to turn my sump lights on for a while (don't want my cheto or caulerpa to die) I also turned on my display tank lights just for about 30-45 mins. When I did the polyps really came out so I took some photos before turning them back off.

While nothing spectacular by any means it will be fun to watch everything evolve/grow...Here are the shots

Water is crystal clear
img_1145221_0_f15a3cbd57aaabba5e5c28a767beca11.jpg

Some small sponges.
img_1145221_1_ee4dcc53c4404e334d8cf3e3fdfcb7dd.jpg

Mushrooms
img_1145221_2_117fb5199baa6f44581b9abf93a25822.jpg

Some of the star polyps
img_1145221_3_e7c3ec2459975fb958a1632f5388f989.jpg

img_1145221_4_0ac58e9bed4bbaf271815394c1c880bc.jpg

img_1145221_5_e3bbf2c52b81c07f4189cab3dea9e9a5.jpg

The food might have gotten stuck somewhere and is taking awhile to degrade. You could try putting the same amount of food in a really fine mesh bag in front of a strong source of water flow. Should help it degrade faster.

The food might have gotten stuck somewhere and is taking awhile to degrade. You could try putting the same amount of food in a really fine mesh bag in front of a strong source of water flow. Should help it degrade faster.

I actually put it in my sump - it was small pellets. They are not there any longer but perhaps they moved on and have not degraded yet. The food will have been in for 48 hours when I test tonight which I would think would be enough time?

I am starting to wonder if my tank has just skipped its cycle - or IS cycled. I added 150 lbs of well cured live rock. Because I was careful during transportation (keeping it submerged in 76-80 degree water until I put it into my tank) it has had no or very little die off. So I put in quite a bit of bacteria into my tank that can deal with any small amounts of ammonia I have put in (food) or any that has been generated within the tank (die off of the rock). Could it be that because of all the rock that my tank is cycled?

I think I have enough (maybe even more than enough) bacteria to deal with the current bio load. Obviously when something new is added like a fish it would increase the bio load so I would need to be really careful how much I add.

Thoughts? Is my thinking messed up? If my theory is correct, could I be starving some of the bacteria I do have (assuming I have more than needed for the current bio load)? Should I be adding fish food or something on occasion to increase the ammonia slightly until I put a fish in?

No your thinking is sound, by all means it should be fine. But if it were me I would want to see some proof that it is still cycled. I would add about a decent feeding of a meaty food like mysis or brine. It degrades a little bit faster and is a better ammonia source. If it is cycled you will see your nitrates rise.

If you are planning on adding like 2 fish to begin with, I would continue to add a little bit of food every other day to keep the colonies in check. If you are just going to put one, once or twice a week feeding should do fine.

Jimbo,
Thanks for the comment. I appreciate your and everyones advice!

I agree that more proof is needed. One benefit of living in the boonies my closest LFS is two hours away so I am forced to be patient and go slow since I only bake it to the big city (Yes Boise is considered a big city for me lol) twice a month.

For the reason mentioned above I don't have access to brine or mysis right now.. how about a a couple small bay shrimp?

If things continue to look good I will be adding two fish to start but not for another two weeks or so. I want to maintain the bacteria I have so you think adding some fish food every other day is the best way to do this?

I also am starting to wonder about my day one water tests... I had a reading of .5 ammonia and zero since then. Im not sure where that ammonia came from on that first day but perhaps the bacteria I had was able to deal with it by day 2?

Jimbo,
Thanks for the comment. I appreciate your and everyones advice!

I agree that more proof is needed. One benefit of living in the boonies my closest LFS is two hours away so I am forced to be patient and go slow since I only bake it to the big city (Yes Boise is considered a big city for me lol) twice a month.

For the reason mentioned above I don't have access to brine or mysis right now.. how about a a couple small bay shrimp?

If things continue to look good I will be adding two fish to start but not for another two weeks or so. I want to maintain the bacteria I have so you think adding some fish food every other day is the best way to do this?

I also am starting to wonder about my day one water tests... I had a reading of .5 ammonia and zero since then. Im not sure where that ammonia came from on that first day but perhaps the bacteria I had was able to deal with it by day 2?

How soon after you put the LR did you do the testing? There was probably a lot of crap, literally, on the rocks along with some die off of the bacteria. I would imagine this is where your ammonia was from. The only thing that concerns me is that there has been no change in nitrate levels.

Raw, uncooked, unseasoned shrimp are safe to add. Add them in a fine bag of some sort so it is easier to get the remains out.

How soon after you put the LR did you do the testing? There was probably a lot of crap, literally, on the rocks along with some die off of the bacteria. I would imagine this is where your ammonia was from. The only thing that concerns me is that there has been no change in nitrate levels.

Raw, uncooked, unseasoned shrimp are safe to add. Add them in a fine bag of some sort so it is easier to get the remains out.

I tested the water about 6 hours after I put the rock in.... Thats what I figured too, just some die off or crap in the water. I just figured I would get that same or higher reading for ammonia on day 2. Could the cheto and caulerpa be helping maintain low nitrate levels?

I will buy some shrimp today and try to find a fine mesh bag.

You think I can start running lights yet? Continue to skim?

Yea, I hadn't really considered that, forgot you had some. Your macro probably is keeping the nitrates down. I would still do the shrimp even if you can get the nitrates to come up just a bit. Its probably overkill at this point, it seems like you are ready to go, but better safe then sorry.

The guy at our local produce store just gave me a big jumbo shrimp when I cycled. I had to try and explain to him for like 5 minutes that i just needed one not one pound :p

Yea, you are probably safe to start running the lights, and the only time you will probably stop skimming from now on is when you have to clean it.

Day 4
More of the same... The only thing that changed is my temp went up to 78.5... from 78 and thats probably because I had the lights on an hour before testing the water.

SG = about 1.025 +/-
Temp = 78.5
Ammonia = 0
PH = 8.4
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0

So taking Jimbo's advice I went to the grocery store asked the meat guy for a single shrimp and had to say "yes, just one shrimp" three times. lol. I put 1/2 of a large shrimp into a clean nylon sock and it is in my sump right now.

So any predictions for my tests tomorrow?

So since it seems as I may be getting close to actually beginning the stocking of the tank - here is my first potential stock list. Please critique.

2 Ocellaris clowns - black or regular (had a breeding pair before, hope to again)
Blue tang (got to have Dorie)
Tribal Blenny
Sailfin tang
Yellow or red clown goby
Yellow watchman goby
2-4 Kaudern's Cardinal
2 dartfish - firefish

2 Peppermint Shrimp (one in sump one in display)
1 pistol shrimp
Dersa Clam(s)

Corals - depends on whats at the LFS and looks healthy.

Anemone -Carpet. Have kept carpets in the past with success and its what the wife wants again - although when I tore down my tank last I ended up with one wrapped around my arm. It stung me many times over until I was able to slowly pull it off my arm.... they are so sticky and it was about 12"+ across. Will need to be fore careful in the future handling them, don't really want to go through that again.

clean up crew

The sailfin is going to get too large for that tank, they really like to blast down 6' tanks. The tank is going to be too small for 2 tangs anyway.

Hopefully we'll see some nitrates comin up, then you are home free!

When adding fish, stock least aggressive to most aggressive, adding one fish every 3-4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom